Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why IRLP on VHF  (Read 2490 times)
K7NHB

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »

I was creating my own list of 2M repeaters from the Repeater Mapbook and wanted to add EchoLink node numbers. They weren't part of the standard columns of information but some repeaters had comments/URL links that took me to a page which listed a computer node.

I was surprised that most of those listed were IRLP. I thought IRLP required special equipment/hardware on both ends but Echolink just needs tones and a standard computer with echolink software - no "special" hardware.

I figured IRLP was there first, before echolink, and had been replaced. But from what I saw, it seemed IRLP was far more prevalent than Echolink.  If I were at a base station, I could understand having the necessary IRLP hardware needed. But out in the field, mobile or HT, it seems Echolink would be more accessable.

What am I missing? Maybe the Echolink nodes have just not been reported.

Paul, K7NHB
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »

Paul,

IRLP requires special hardware/software at both ends of the LINK -- that is, at the repeaters that are IRLP nodes.

Individual users can access the IRLP "network" through any IRLP-linked repeater the same way they would for a local QSO.

The only "special" equipment required is a radio with a DTMF (Touch-Tone) pad so that you can "dial up" the remote IRLP node (far away repeater) to which you want to connect.

All access is via "radio" -- that is, over the air through a linked repeater.
No access via computer.

And, unlike EchoLink, there's no registration required for individual users.

Read up on IRLP here:

http://www.irlp.net/

Mel - KS2G
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »

Thank you Mel,
If I understood you - the guy with the HT or Mobile doesn't need IRLP hardware - only the two linked repeaters. So just as a person would keep a list of desirable EchoLink node codes for repeaters that support echo link, so a person would also keep a list of desirable IRLP node codes for repeaters that support IRLP - but the two hams on each side of the linked repeaters don't need nutt'n - 'cept their HT, mobile, etc.

I'll check that URL for a list of IRLP 2M repeater nodes.

Paul
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:49:59 AM »

Paul,

You got it!

Mel - KS2G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: