The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC8YU is now KJ8U  (Read 1969 times)
KJ8U

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »

Received email this morning about new Vanity call KJ8U.  So, it's not updated here in eham nor in QRZ or radioqth.  Have caught some flack already for it being an expired call sign while working JT65/JT9  Use FCC ULS to verify call as they are the issuing authority. It will take a few days for QRZ and eham to update their DB's with the FCC's updates.

As most know, 1x2 and 2x1 calls are a rare commodity these days, it come down to a competition and who's quickest to apply for these calls as they become available. I was fortunate enough that a few ppl applied for this call, and I was the lucky winner. 

N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »

Congrats on the new call. I like it. In December 1979, I upgraded to extra at the FCC Detroit Field Office. My new 2x1 call arrived in the mail the next month. It was KJ8S. The KJ8 prefix confused some operators who mistakenly thought I was DX. I pointed my 3-element yagi toward Europe on 20m CW, called CQ and raised small- to medium-sized pile-ups from ops who thought I was DX in the Pacific. That was fun for a while. In 1982, I moved to Kentucky and received WE4K as my call. Shortly after the vanity call program began in 1996, I was at the Dayton Hamvention and came across the new holder of KJ8S. When I told him I had held the call at one point, he seemed not to believe me. But I spoke the truth. For him, the J and S were his initials. When I checked again on QRZ.com a few years later, some other fellow now held the call. It seems to get around. -- 73, Dave, N4KZ
KJ8U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:07:03 AM »

Thanks Dave.  I was hoping a 1x2 would pop up with district 8, but I'll take what I was granted :-). Yesterday while working JT65 on 20M, a guy was CQing for MI calls. I replied, the QSO finished, and on the next cycle he replies with "KJ8U IS DEAD"  Nearly fell out of my chair from laughing so hard.  He must have been using QRZ or another site to verify my call. Tongue

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: