Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aviation headset to Kenwood TS2000X  (Read 2186 times)
N7KTX

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:22:57 AM »

Does anyone know if I can use my David Clark H10-40 aviation headset on my Kenwood TS2000X?  I suppose its possible, but I can't find the adapters to plug it in, etc.
N7KTX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »

Well, I answered my own question.  Aviation headsets can't work with ham radios.  Microphone impedance is incompatible.  Its possible to replace the headset's microphone with one of lower impedance, then jumper-wire the connectors to get to the radio, but the broadcast noise supression qualities of the original headset microphone are lost.  Aviation headsets are more comfortable to wear for long periods and are generally better at blocking ambient noise for the operator, but its not enough to make me willing to gut my expensive David Clarks.

KF7OAE
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »

According to the schematic diagram for the headset, the mic has an internal amplifier. Did you supply DC bias to the mic element and amp? Here's a link to an adapter I built to get a Telex noise cancelling headset to work with my TS-2000. Maybe it will be of some help..

http://www.ka1mda.org/ham/homebrew/telex/index.htm

73, Tom
AJ8L

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:15:13 AM »

I have made several adapter circuits for aircraft headsets. They can be powered with a 9 volt trasistor battery. Just make sure you have a decoupling capacitor between the battery and mic input to the radio so you are not putting a voltage into the radio's mic circuit. Also you may be able to pick up a bias voltage from the radio itself to power the aircraft mic. I did this with an SGC radio and Yaesu radios. 5 volts will do. I currently run a Telex set with my FT-817 and TS-430. QST had a project to do this a few months back. Hope this helps.

AJ8L
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: