Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Code ‘Alive and Well’  (Read 512 times)
AD6WL

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2004, 10:37:41 AM »

From this website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/3759672.stm

Morse Code ‘Alive and Well’

Morse code seems to be the communication method that just won't die.
The maritime industry stopped using the code years ago and radio hams are no longer required to pass a Morse test to obtain a UK license.
But a dedicated band of amateurs - and a large number of people with disabilities - are helping keep the dot-dash system alive.
Leicester-based radio ham David Ramsey told BBC News Online: "One country after another dropped the code, but on the amateur side it seems to be picking up again.
"People who mainly use their voice (on radio) like the idea of picking it up... they know there is a lot of Morse going on and they wonder what it is all about.
"It is curiosity that is bringing them back."
In a bizarre merger of technologies, there are even people sending Morse messages via the Internet.
Radio hams with disabilities are another group utilizing Morse code.
Tapping out dots and dashes can sometimes be easier for people with physical or speech impediments.
John Hammond, from the Radio Amateurs Invalid and Blind Association, said some radio users used Morse keys which are modified to suit their disabilities.
"I remember a chap who couldn't speak and was totally paralyzed, but he was able to use his Morse key with his tongue, which was marvelous.
"Another chap, known as Twinkle Toes, could use his big toe... I think that was the only part of his body that he could use."
George Longden, secretary of the Morse Code Preservation Society in the UK, said his dream would be for radio hams to be required to pass a Morse test.
He said: "My prime wish will never be granted - the resumption of a CW (Morse) examination for all amateurs aspiring to a license to operate on all HF bands between 1.8 and 30MHz."
Despite this, the society is attempting to teach Morse to new radio users.
"We support an initiative which offers authenticated speed tests.
"It will provide for tests of varying speeds at rallies and conventions throughout the country and we are also endeavoring to encourage other countries to undertake similar services."
Mr Longden said the airwaves remain clogged with Morse users.
"(Morse code) is still very much alive and it is difficult to find a clear spot on many of the popular bands during an international contest.
"If you don't believe me then listen on most weekends."

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 06:53:11 PM »

I don't know why everyone is so surprised. The shipping industry dropped the use of sailing ships many years ago and yet take a look at any of our waterways any weekend. You see as many sail boats as anything else. People are in hobbys to do what interests them. They don't stop just because the government no longer requires it.
G4KON

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 11:26:25 AM »

learnt my cw in the royal navy back in 1942.still as active as ever,and fast as ever . i prefer it to voice.long may it continue
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 12:16:10 PM »

"I don't know why everyone is so surprised.......People are in hobbys to do what interests them. They don't stop just because the government no longer requires it."

Exactly why morse code will survive and be used, even if the test requirement is thrown out.  If you want to use it--go ahead and use it, if you don't want to--then don't.

I never could see what the fuss and bother is about over dropping the code test.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: