Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-590s Questions..  (Read 9261 times)
ZS5WC

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »

Huh

I see Kenwood TS-590s from early production numbers has F901 fuse failures.
Has this now been sorted out with later production runs?.

The Internal power meter reads average not pep power output--has any firmware upgrades sorted this out?.

Just as a side note: I will be getting my own TS-590s soon, Some things I would have liked with the new rig:
*More colourful LCD display like the new Yaesu's. ( I much prefer the TS-850s display as well.)
*An analogue multi / 'S' meter.
*Is it just me, or has the accessories for the Kenwoods stayed the same for the last 15+ years?.. Come on guys--how about a new desk mic with tailored audio, and a bandscope like the Yaesu DMU's etc?..
The old MC43s hand mics. are just plain flat in response and boring.
*The standard SP-23 Speaker has the audio response of a tin can.
*I would love to see a Kenwood Solid State linear--much like the Tokyo HP, or something like the old ICOM IC-2KL..

Anyhow, very exited about the new rig..
73 de William, ZS4L / ZS5WC

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »

The Internal power meter reads average not pep power output--has any firmware upgrades sorted this out?.
Why.

Just as a side note: I will be getting my own TS-590s soon, Some things I would have liked with the new rig:
*More colourful LCD display like the new Yaesu's. ( I much prefer the TS-850s display as well.)
It's not a color tv.

Analog and digital don't play well together, not if you want all that info on your computer.

*Is it just me, or has the accessories for the Kenwoods stayed the same for the last 15+ years?.. Come on guys--how about a new desk mic with tailored audio, and a bandscope like the Yaesu DMU's etc?..
Yep, means all your OLD accys work.

But the standard for good communications audio.

Yep, make for communication audio not hi-fi.

*I would love to see a Kenwood Solid State linear--much like the Tokyo HP, or something like the old ICOM IC-2KL..
No comment.

Anyhow, very exited about the new rig..
73 de William, ZS4L / ZS5WC

Clif
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:45:43 PM »

Smiley
Hi Clif,

I hear what you are saying-like yourself, I am a great Kenwood fan, and have collected all the Kenwoods from the TS-520 to the TS-2000.
I also do my own repairs--like you, so know the Kenwoods pretty well.
The Questions I posed are more of a 'Wish List' , and would be nice to see.

Why.
I reckoned since the TS850s , TS-2000, and old TS430's AT-250 had a proper PEP meter-why NOT in the TS-590s?.

I do know it is not a colour TV--unlike some of the other rigs out there-the old type LCD display just looks a bit dated now, I don't want pixels, segments are fine--Something like the FT-1000 MP display would be nice. NOT Difficult with modern LCD technology.
(I Guess cost is a factor)

Analog and digital don't play well together, not if you want all that info on your computer.
Its' not impossible.--

Yep, all the old accessories will work--an additional tailored, more modern looking mic. with electronic PTT  would be nice.

I agree the SP-23 is communications quality--then why are we able to listen 5K/cs on the Rig , and we are unable to reproduce it on the loudspeaker?.

Anyhow,
I guess the maufacturers can't please everybody!..

73!

ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »

Smiley

Watching this youtube video-I think the Average reading power meter has been addressed with a firmware update?..
I LOOKS like the inboard segment power meter is now reading PEP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOU-F5OrsCg&feature=related

W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:21:17 AM »

Just because an average reading watt meter only displays 20 to 30 watts doesn't mean your 100 watt transmitter is only producing 20 to 30. What difference does it make whether you have an average reading watt meter or a peak reading watt meter? A peak reading watt meter will not improve your chances of making contacts nor will it improve the overall performance of the transmitter. I honestly don't see the need for a peak reading watt meter.

Built-in colorful displays, whether they be S, ALC, and RF meters, digital displays, digital mode decoders/encoders etc will not improve the performance but they will result in higher cost for ham gear. If you want a Spectrum Analyzer option in a transceiver then purchase a transceiver with one built in. Many transceivers have computer control and most of the software is free on the web  which can make the transceiver's options appear a bit more colorful.

As for the hand microphone's flat frequency response, if you don't like the frequency response of the stock microphone then do like many other hams have done, add outboard audio processing and a different microphone. Personally, I don't care for outboard audio processing since quite often the outboard processing equipment is improperly adjusted which makes the receive audio sound too bassy. Some stations even adjust the MIC gain too high just to make themselves sound "LOUD". This quite often results in distorted audio and splatter causing adjacent frequency interference. It's not how LOUD your transmit signal sounds at the distance end but rather how clean your transmit signal is.

If you would like to see Kenwood produce and sell an all solid state amplifier then why not take the time to write and discuss it with them? Maybe they have one in the making/design steps but you won't know until you write and ask. I don't know whether Kenwood sells an all solid state amplifier or not. However, in the mean time, Ameritron sells all solid state amplifiers for both home and mobile use. Check Ameritron's website for further details.

Many modern transceivers have dual VFOs, HF and VHF/UHF bands, menus to adjust audio and RF setting, spectrum analyzers, antenna tuners, computer control, and high power final amplifier (200 watts or more) already built in. What additional accessories do you need or want? Some even have built-in digital mode decoders/encoders.

73s
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »

Undecided
Seems some guys are trolling for an argument--I simply posed an very simple 'wish list', after all IF Kenwood did produce eg. for instance an solid state amp, they would benefit for selling a complete "line" of equipment, much like The old TS-830s,Sm-230, AT-230, Sp-230 etc.

I KNOW the rig produces a cool 100w +--My TS-430's AT-250 had a PEP reading meter, MY -TS-850s Has one, why should the latest and Greatest TS-590s not have one?.
It just looks better when you transmit, (I know what the function of ALC is during transmit.)
So yes, it does not really matter, but would be nice.

I also don't care for outboard processing, I just wonder how many hams still use the stock microphone if they were so good.
I personally use the Shure 444, or SM-8 and they sound good, not as muffled.

All points taken, perhaps the BIG rig from Kenwood that is in the pipeline will be in line with the FTDX-5000 .
So Peace-I do LOVE Kenwoods!

73!
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »

"Seems some guys are trolling for an argument."

Your assumption was complete wrong.

ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »

No Problem Michael!..

Nothing wrong with stating one's views!..   
I am very exited about the new TS-590s, I think Kenwood would have done their homework!..

I also BTW, have THREE TS-830's--love them as well--radio masterpieces..

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »

While the AT250 is a peak reading meter the TS850's meter is averaging plus (my term). More than an averaging meter but less than a peak.

850 on bench on CW
Meter 100w, actual 95w
SSB 2 tone test
Meter 80w, actual 104w

FWIW

Clif
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »

Wink
FB Clif!..

Thanks for the info!.. So point taken.
BTW, I'll be replacing ALL the old electrolytics in my TS-850s soon, just waiting for the last batch of capacitors to arrive.

73!.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:41:39 AM »

Don't wait too long on the Car unit. The one I was talking about had destroyed traces and I had to run jumpers to fix it. Wasn't a pretty sight. Drop me an e-mail and I'll show you.
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 02:04:25 AM »

Wink
Thanks for the offer Clif!--if I get stuck , I will give you a shout!.. I did check the carrier DDS unit already, and there is no telltale residue on the PCB--LUCKILY.
Just in case I will be replacing every single last electrolytic--pity that Kenwood had this bad batch of caps--it kinda spoils a Magnificent rig--even by today's standards.

Do you suggest I use the standard soldering station Iron, or should I invest in a hot air soldering station?..
Any tips to prevent damaged tracks with this rig?.

BTW, I notice the TS-590s caps are rated between 50 and 100v mostly--very good safety margin.

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »

*More colourful LCD display like the new Yaesu's.

As I'm sure you realize, many of you wishes are subjective.  I currently own an 850 (my 8th), a 950SDX, and two Yaesus, a Mk V Field and a 1000D.

One of the things I like least about the Mk V is the color display.  I think the multi-colors look cheap, like they were designed to appeal to a CB mentality.  I would much prefer a display that simply worked better...warming up quickly to full brightness and having good contrast.

I was hooked on LED bargraph meters from my first 850.  Analog meters seem, I dunno, so quaint these days.  Lots of guys to disagree with me here.  People seem to expect them, especially on high end rigs.  To me, that's just nostalgia.

Like the colored displays, the DMU isn’t exactly a paragon of usefulness.  Nice bling though.  Desk mics too, are of limited use…too low, always in the way.  Use a headset with a boom mic for true convenience.  Given Kenwood's track record as of late, we're probably lucky to just get the new radio.

Kenwoods hand mics have always worked surprisingly well.  Not too sure how you spice up a hand mic.

Agreed.  Accessory speakers are generally poor to awful.  I always use headphones.

Interestingly enough, Kenwood displayed just such a creature at the Japan Ham Fair in 2006, the TL-933.  Unfortunately it never made it to production.  See:

http://onjapan.net/2006/hamfair/kenwood.html

http://www.rigpix.com/linears/tl933.htm

William, I'm just in Devil’s advocate mode here.  I certainly don’t have a chip on my shoulder as some of the other respondents seem to.

I came within a whisker of ordering a new '590, but decided to hold off just a bit longer in order to see if Kenwood is really going to release their new premium level radio, often being called the TS-990.  More important to me than the flash features missing from the ‘590 is the fact that the roofing filter on 10m and (I believe) 12m, is a wide 2.7 kHz which plays havoc with the AGC in the presence of strong close in signals.  That was my complaint with the ‘870, which experienced AGC pumping on all bands.  This apparently can be cured by grafting in a 500 Hz filter from a TS-480, something Clif might attempt, but not me.

Hope you enjoy the new radio, it should be great fun!

Larry, K0RS

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:24:43 PM by K0RS » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:12 AM »

KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »

In response to the comment on the *The standard SP-23 Speaker has the audio response of a tin can.
Yep, make for communication audio not hi-fi.

The last decent sounding speaker I had from Kenwood was the SP940.  Nice balanced sound.  After all, the 590S has a general coverage receive and AM capability so no need to put up with inferior audio.  Its basically the same design as the SP-930, SP-830.

BTW, if you aren't biased against Yaesu, the SP-2000 which is current production is a might fine unit.  No tin-can audio even on narrow SSB and it has adjustable hi-pass/low-pass filters.  I use one on my FT-2000 and FT-5000.

For what it is worth....

Greg
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: