Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brown Bros Key question  (Read 418 times)
W3IC

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2004, 04:50:05 AM »

Fellow Hams, (I hope this is an appropriate forum)

I was wondering if anybody could tell me about the differences in "feel" of the older (1964-74) style Brown Bros paddles and straight keys vs. the (1974-79) A,B styles with patented leaf spring design.  I am looking to purchase a BTL, BTL-A paddle and/or CTL, CTL-A, CTL-B paddle/straight key combo.  I have had limited luck finding info.  Any help as to which keys are more desireable as far as functionality and value as a collectible would be most appreciated.  Thanks, and 73, W3IC Doug.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 05:07:28 AM »

This is a perfect forum, Doug.  You might also try the "High Speed CW" forum sponsored by QTH.COM, though there has not been much activity on that one lately.  I can't answer your comparison question, but I do use the BTL-A every day, and love it. It stays adjusted- just set it and forget it.  It is a little light, though, so I use a piece of cut up mouse pad to help hold it down to the operating table.

73 de Chuck NI0C

W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 04:37:44 AM »

Have you seen http://www.qsl.net/n6tt/brown.html ?
W2XS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 03:12:18 PM »

I have both models.  The "newer" BTL-A does not have a pivot design like the older model BTL.  That means that there is no up and down motion of the paddle arms.  This gives, in my opinion, a better and more stable feel. So, if you have a choice, I would suggest the BTL-A model.  I bought them new in the 70's and still use them today.

John W2XS
W3IC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 01:08:12 AM »

Thanks to all for the info.  Particularly W2XS, thats' what I wanted to know exactly.  Thanks again.  73, Doug W3IC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: