Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Are the Big Dogs , In SRD and Software !  (Read 6463 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »

Who are the big Dogs ,in SDR Manufacture and software today ,and the reason for it?
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »

In terms of total number of units sold and total number of users..... the Softrock community is hands down the most active and the largest SDR radio in sales.

Here is the place to go for info:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/?yguid=410965658

You can purchase them here: http://www.kb9yig.com/

Lots of different models, Single Band HF Receivers, All band HF Receiver, VHF/2m/6m Receivers, 5W QRP multi-band HF Transceiver, and more.  ALL for only $20-$75 each.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:02:05 PM by WS4E » Logged
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »

amateur or professional?

Harris is selling a lot of JTRS radios, and they're all software.  For that matter, pretty much all modern military radios are SDR
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »

Harris is selling a lot of JTRS radios, and they're all software.  For that matter, pretty much all modern military radios are SDR

The company I work with employs the JTRS radios. Nice stuff and extremely rugged.

dave Smiley

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »

I would like to have a Soft Rock, but every time I go to
the website, it says"Check Back Soon" on every one of
the kits. It is near impossible to get one, or so it seems.
james
WD5GWY
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »

I would like to have a Soft Rock, but every time I go to
the website, it says"Check Back Soon" on every one of
the kits. It is near impossible to get one, or so it seems.
james
WD5GWY

Go here: http://www.watchthatpage.com/

Sign up and have it email you whenever the page change, then you will get an alert as soon as they go up for sale.  They usually sell out in a few hours to maybe a day at the most.

That is the best way to get them, and its really not that hard.

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »

You may want to take a look, at this big dog, www.sdr-cube.com the first integrated radio for the future>
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »

Software?

These guys are making cool stuff!

http://www.hamradioscience.com/2011/05/woodboxradio-fxpad-for-powersdr/

Ni0Z

WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 07:08:37 PM »

Check this out:

http://www.woodboxradio.com/uk/FX5000.html

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 01:58:03 PM »

That is a very good site, thanks for posting it.www.hamradioscience !
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »

I'd say the elephant in the room is Flex-Radio.  There isn't any larger "Big Dog" in amateur radio SDR manufacturing than them.  From their initial model of the SDR-1000 to their current models of 1500, 3000, and 5000, nobody has as many models currently being manufactured.  Some have tried to integrate transmitters into SDR receivers and only Flex has done it with consistency.   

The only substitute setup that I've found that works as easily is slaving a regular transmitter to an SDR receiver.  I've had very good success using my Perseus with a TS-2000 and an FT-897.  But even that doesn't compare to the ease of use of my Flex-3000.

In SDR receivers the "Big Dog" is Microtelecom with their Perseus. This receiver has been recognized as one of the best.  More and more software packages are supporting the Perseus.  Next is probably WinRadio with their two models of Excalibur receivers.  But as far as I know no 3rd party software supports this receiver.   And last but certainly not least is RF Space with their several models of SDR receivers.  The most popular being the SDR-IQ.  I own one of them myself.  This receiver is supported by many 3rd party software packages. One of them being the very versatile SDR-Radio which is very fun to use. 
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »

I'd say the elephant in the room is Flex-Radio.  There isn't any larger "Big Dog" in amateur radio SDR manufacturing than them.  From their initial model of the SDR-1000 to their current models of 1500, 3000, and 5000, nobody has as many models currently being manufactured.  Some have tried to integrate transmitters into SDR receivers and only Flex has done it with consistency.   

The only substitute setup that I've found that works as easily is slaving a regular transmitter to an SDR receiver.  I've had very good success using my Perseus with a TS-2000 and an FT-897.  But even that doesn't compare to the ease of use of my Flex-3000.

In SDR receivers the "Big Dog" is Microtelecom with their Perseus. This receiver has been recognized as one of the best.  More and more software packages are supporting the Perseus.  Next is probably WinRadio with their two models of Excalibur receivers.  But as far as I know no 3rd party software supports this receiver.   And last but certainly not least is RF Space with their several models of SDR receivers.  The most popular being the SDR-IQ.  I own one of them myself.  This receiver is supported by many 3rd party software packages. One of them being the very versatile SDR-Radio which is very fun to use. 
Do you have an opinion ,on intergraded  all in one Hybrid radios? Note: they will have options for larger LED monitor screens and will likely use a mouse?
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »

So where does the Quicksilver QS1R fit in with respect to the Perseus?

I've heard some say that it will benefit from a preamp/preselector. But it would seem to then loose some of the benefit of having a wideband receiver able to receive all the HF Ham bands at once.
KB2YAN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »

http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/kx3.htm
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:33 AM »

So where does the Quicksilver QS1R fit in with respect to the Perseus?

I've heard some say that it will benefit from a preamp/preselector. But it would seem to then loose some of the benefit of having a wideband receiver able to receive all the HF Ham bands at once.

Having owed or extensively used all receivers on the following list this is my ranking:

1. SRL-LLC QuickSilver QS1R
2. Microtelecom Perseus
3. RF Space NetSDR
4. Winradio Excalibur

If you are a Ham the QS1R is the way to go.  It can be muted by an external connection for use with a transmitter.  It has very low latency for CW use.  There is an upcoming transmitter module in the works.  The only place the QS1R needs a preamp is 10 meters but so does the Perseus and the rest on the list anyhow.

Gene

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: