The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Using An SDRplay?  (Read 15676 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2016, 04:35:17 PM »

Just got one from HRO ($150) a few days ago and I'm struggling to get the hang of the complex SDR-Console software. Haven't done any A/B tests yet against my regular ham receivers. Seems generally to work well once the low noise amp and gain are optimized for the frequency.

On Six-meters I picked up a few Canadians last night just with my 43' vertical. Longwave works tolerably down to about 100 KHz. Broadcast images can be troublesome. Seems to do nicely with NDBs. Haven't heard anything on the 630-meter ham allocation probably due to summertime inactivity and propagation.

20 and 40-meters ham bands are fine. I've yet to hear any air traffic in the 120 MHz AM band. Eager to monitor the UHF ham bands during this weekend's big contest.

Got a lot to learn with this toy. Tips are very welcome.

KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »

I have one.  You might like HDSDR better.

Less time fiddling with the computer program, more time listening to the radio.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 05:07:30 PM »

"You might like HDSDR better."

Probably. SDR-Console is a typical Simon Brown creation... with everything but the kitchen sink. I wonder whether the upcoming SDR-Console v3 will be easier to use?  

Just today the SDR-Play developers posted the first details about the integration of Studio1 SDR software that they acquired recently. There will be a charge for Studio1/SDR1.  

"We have a few beta testers trying out the new integrated Studio1 SDR software which we hope to make available to existing and new SDRplay customers before the end of June. We are aiming for the cost to be as low as possible and we will also be changing the name because there are other English language companies that use "Studio1" as a trademarked name. The new name will be "SDR1" and there is already an unofficial facebook group up and running! See https://www.facebook.com/groups/sdrplaysdr1/ "

http://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=765

M5AED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 06:25:35 AM »

What is the point of all this digital / computer rubbish.  Buy a standard analogue receiver / transceiver, they have served us well and still do.  The way some SDR fans bang on about digital kit you would think that no one ever worked the amateur bands in the past.  Before anyone ask, yes I have used SDR.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 07:07:35 AM »

1923 "Spark Forever" QSL.

My lil' SDR-Play is hearing very impressively during this morning's DX openings to New England from Missouri on 6-meters in the VHF contest. Band -- and panadaptor -- are full of signals and I'm just listening with my 43' HF vertical. 

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »

1923 "Spark Forever" QSL.

My lil' SDR-Play is hearing very impressively during this morning's DX openings to New England from Missouri on 6-meters in the VHF contest. Band -- and panadaptor -- are full of signals and I'm just listening with my 43' HF vertical. 

You got a nice QSL there!  Have you really been operating that long??  Roll Eyes
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 11:11:20 AM »

Two  significant updates today:

"Wednesday June 15th

We have decided that the new name for Studio1 on the RSP will be SDRuno (said SDR, uno)  - beta testing is nearing completion and we hope to announce how existing and future RSP owners can obtain the software within a week from now. The unofficial Facebook Group for discussing this software has changed its name to  https://www.facebook.com/groups/sdruno/ - this is separate from the popular SDRplay (closed) group which is up to nearly 3000 members."

Thursday June 16th

We will shortly be releasing an update to the API and the EXTIO file to reflect a number of improvements – one of these will be to lower the frequency to which the RSP can be readily be tuned.    It has always been possible to tune to frequencies below 100kHz, we are just making it easier to do so. This is the reason why new customers may have noticed we are now shipping RSPs with packaging which states our coverage range is 10kHz – 2GHz "

---
BTW, I just installed SDRPlay on my wife's puny <$200 Windows tablet to see if that could be done. Installation went fine but I haven't really given it much of a listening test yet

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 04:52:33 AM »

"GREAT NEWS !
 SDRuno software is freely available to all current and future users of the RSP – to download a copy – simply go to http://www.sdrplay.com/windows.html
 Bravo to all SDRplay staff !!!"

Now covers 10 KHz to 2 GHZ. Does not include scanning ability.   

From the creators:

"SDRplay is pleased to announce the official release of SDRuno for the RSP. SDRuno is the new name for the RSP compatible version of Studio1, the rights to which we obtained and announced on 28th April. SDRuno contains native support for the SDRplay RSP and no extra plugins are required. Third party hardware can also be supported via the ExtIO interface, but with reduced functionality.

SDRuno provides a rugged and flexible, high performance SDR receiver capability and boasts some excellent features:

• Multiple ‘Virtual Receivers’ which allow for simultaneous reception and demodulation of different types of signals within the same receiver bandwidth.

• A selectivity filter with an ultimate rejection greater than 140 dB.

• A unique distortion-free double stage AGC with fully adjustable parameters.

• Multiple notch filters with BW adjustable down to 1 Hz, Notch Lock feature.

• A unique synchronous AM mode with selectable/adjustable sidebands, dedicated PLL input filter, and selectable PLL time constants.

• SNR (stereo noise reduction), featuring a proprietary noise reduction algorithm for stereo broadcast.

• AFC for FM signals.

• Calibration for receiver frequency errors.

Over time, we plan to add many more features to SDRuno to enhance the user’s experience of this very powerful piece of software. This software runs on Windows and we don’t yet know how easy it will be to migrate it to other platforms but this is something we will be investigating.
SDRuno will be made freely available to all current and future users of the RSP – to download a copy of both the software and the documentation – simply go to

http://www.sdrplay.com/windows.html

Our support for SDRuno in no way lessens our commitment to support HDSDR, SDR Console, Cubic SDR or ANY other software solution where the authors are willing to work with us. We fully recognise that many people have strong preferences for particular pieces of software and we do not want to do anything to undermine the options that people have to use their favoured software packages. Indeed, our view is quite the opposite. Our objective remains aim to have our hardware platforms support any and every SDR package out there. This of course may not be possible, but it is our philosophy and part of the ethos of our company."

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 08:17:58 AM »

What is the point of all this digital / computer rubbish.  Buy a standard analogue receiver / transceiver, they have served us well and still do.  The way some SDR fans bang on about digital kit you would think that no one ever worked the amateur bands in the past.  Before anyone ask, yes I have used SDR.

And you walked to school uphill both ways, barefoot in the snow, and you liked it.  Wink  I own analog receivers too but the SDRPlay is a whole lot of fun.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 10:19:01 AM »

Here's a post I did on RadioReference about precisely calibrating the frequency readout on the SDRPlay/Uno combo. Uno also has a way to calibrate the overly generous S-meter, which I need to get around to doing.
http://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/334684-studio1-sdrplay.html#post2595694

My main disappointment so far is with performance in the AM BCB and below. I'm getting a lot of broadcast bleedthrough/images that I don't have on most of my other radios. Fiddling with the RF gain, LNA, IF bandwidth and spectrum readout position all affect copy-ablity. Even so, reception of WWVB on 60 KHz, for example, is borderline. Normally it's very loud here in Missouri. Any advice?
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »

I love the SDRPlay RSP, I use SDR Consolve V3 mostly, I tried SDRuno but have to say, going to have to read everything to get the hang of it.

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »

My main disappointment so far is with performance in the AM BCB and below. I'm getting a lot of broadcast bleedthrough/images that I don't have on most of my other radios. Fiddling with the RF gain, LNA, IF bandwidth and spectrum readout position all affect copy-ablity. Even so, reception of WWVB on 60 KHz, for example, is borderline. Normally it's very loud here in Missouri. Any advice?

You might want to pose this question to the members of the SDRPlay page on Facebook. They're a helpful group.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:58:19 PM »

Yes, I posted today on their Facebook about the longwave flakiness. Other buyers agree that there seems to be a software bug that causes various problems below about 100-200 KHz. Works fine occasionally, but generally not. Sometimes the radio seems to tune properly but no stations are heard. Sometimes the tuning locks up with the readout stuck on a frequency until the radio is shut down and rebooted. 

I've had my SDRPlay running on 24 KHz for several hours today without any problem. The government digital signals there have been fairly loud. But If I start tuning the SDRPlay, it will probably break again. So far, SDRplay management hasn't responded to the Facebook discussion.   
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 10:53:29 AM »

This morning  -- two days after the initial release of SDRplay's Uno software -- they released a fix for the VLF problems. Version 1.02 can be easily downloaded over previous versions.   http://www.sdrplay.com/windows.html

Also the SDRplay/SDRUno panadaptor can now display a 10 MHz swath of RF. Previously the limit was 8 MHz. I have it running in the background on the aero AM band right now picking up lots of planes with my ham antenna. Needs scanning ability which is said to be on their to-do list.

G4ABQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 03:57:26 AM »

We're holding a Webinar on Saturday for anyone interested in seeing how to set up SDRuno on the RSP...
73, Jon (G4ABQ/SDRplay)

Here's the anoouncement...

We will be hosting a series of Webinar events centred around the SDRplay RSP and SDRuno. These events will be streamed live, but will also be recorded and hosted on our website for those that are unable to attend.

The first event is scheduled for this Saturday (2nd July) at 16:00 UTC - we will give some background to SDRuno and explain it's core functionality and what the future holds for its development. It will be fairly informal and interactive, we will try to answer as many questions as we can. We will try to stick to a timeframe of about 45 minutes to 1 hour maximum.

You will be able to view the broadcast here: http://connectcast.tv/SDRplay

If you would like to contribute to the text chat discussion, you will need to signup with an account here: http://connectcast.tv/signup

If this proves to be of interest and value, we'll schedule some more with special guests to go through specific real world use cases with the RSP and SDRuno
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: