Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: External Speakers---  (Read 14736 times)
VE3GNU

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »

Looking for advice from experienced listeners----I am trying to decide on an external speaker---for both CW and SSB audio--- essentially to accompany my qrp rigs at my desk-station.
Anyone having any experience with the Palstar SP30B or the Ten Tec model?  Other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Ernie
VE3GNU
KC6RCM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »

Hi Ernie,

I use a Palstar SP30H for my VHF station and a TenTec 961 power supply speaker combo with my HF gear.  The Palstar unit wins by a large margin.  Perhaps the SP30B is just as nice and rich sounding as the H model. 

I'm sure others will chime in, regarding your question as well...  good luck.

-Doug
WA4053SWL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »

I use two external speakers RCA PRO-X33AV in HF receivers JRC-525 and R-5000 and Uniden Bearcat ESP-20 in PRO-2006 and R-7000 scanners and work very well.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:50:43 PM »

A lot will depend upon any hearing loss you have to certain audio frequencies. I have rather severe tinnitus and loud ringing in my ears. Of course it worsens with time and age to the point where what was easy to understand on SSB a year ago is no longer the case. I have found relief by using the MFJ speech enhancer EQ and a small MFJ comm speaker.
 Other than that I find the Collins and Drake speaker inclosures to have nice warm mid and low frequency response. Neither of which are inexpensive. For the narrow range of frequency response you will need to accurately reproduce CW and SSB audio you need not an expensive box. One size won't fit all, just like a pair of shoes, you need to hear a few to make an educated decision of course...73...lane  de n8aft  sk  ..
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 06:01:58 AM »

Indeed---and thanks to all who responded to my posting----I thought it best to post here as many on this forum would be essentially 'listeners'---as opposed to 'talkers'---
And Doug, I am seriously thinking of going for the Palstar SP 30B-B model----seeing that the Eham Reviews have been essentially very positive---and thanks for your input!
73---Ernie
VE3GNU
WA2AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »

Voicemaster if you have the space for it !!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:52:20 AM by WA2AC » Logged
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »

May I add-center channel speakers. Especially, IMHO, the "cheaper" the quality that the center speaker rates for music repro, generally will be accidentally ideal for voice copy. This is my own experience here. When you see a center channel for sale because the person probably bought a better system for their home theatre, grab it. They really do make killer comms speakers. I shot a video showing ssb copy on a particularly crappy prop day here, to illustrate how nice they do with comms.
The Hallie runs a hoaky off-brand but a very good one: CSI model CCS-300.
The r75 and the bc785d scanner run through the Sony STR-D790 AV unit, off which I run a Koss "Cambridge Soundworks"  center channel speaker specifically for those comms...the AV unit also has a set of Boston satellites with subwoofer for music if I want it.
Finally, the r71a runs an RCA center channel, which, for its dinky size, will saturate this place with full comms sound if I crank that 71a's fantastic audio enough.
Video-
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/ridgerocker2001/media/MVI_0404_zpsf4145497.mp4.html
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

An additional vote for center channel speakers; I'm using an Aiwa of unknown vintage, and it is better than any of the "communications" speakers I have.  I rescued it from a garage sale for 50 cents!

in addition to feeding it directly, I sometimes use it with an old Grove Industries SP-200 "Sound Enhancer"; 2 watt or so audio amp, variable peak / notch filter, noise limiter, squelch, CW bandwidth control, interference filter and bass & treble controls.  Works quite well with older rigs; $5 at a hamfest, just needed the volume control pot cleaned out to work like new.
AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 01:48:40 AM »

Hi Ernie i highly recomand the Bhi NES10-3 MK3 DSP Extension Speaker i use them on all my hf receivers these are my Youtube videos..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P0HnXBJ46fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3Q4k_ZW_qwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlQwKAGAthk&feature=player_detailpage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcC5htysocQ&feature=player_detailpage

Regards Lino..
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 06:38:41 AM »

Am very satisfied with the Visaton mid-range cone M 10 4 OHM.  For CW is very nice as well as for voice: the intelligibility is amazing even at very low volume. Due to the enclosed rear no separate mid-range housing construction is necessary.

http://www.visaton.com/en/chassis_zubehoer/archiv/m10_4.html
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »

Lots of great advise here. One of the things I collect are speakers. Always looking for the ultimate radio to ear interface. I have to agree that center 'surround sound' speakers are excellent! We have a lot of thrift stores around here and you can find Sony speakers for $2-$3. They are big, but sound as well as my Palstar.
One simple 'tip'....
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »

One simple tip' continued....... Living in the country with frequent power losses....sigh

Make yourself a switchbox. You can get a multiposition rotary switch a Radio Shack and attach multiple pigtails.
This way you can attach several speakers to the radio and quickly switch between the speakers and decide what your ears like.
If you try to connect and disconnect multiple speakers to the radio one at a time, your brain will soon 'forget' what each speaker sounds like. I have a 12 position box and it will make the results immediate....
Heck, I even like the MFJ-281 speakers....

ron
N4UE
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »

This isn't hifi, you don't need wideband, but you need low distortion so you're not adding to what's already there.  I have good results with both Collins  and Drake speakers by changing the drivers to higher quality car audio speakers (they are standard sizes) and packing the enclosure with enclosure damping material.  A little more power is needed thereafter, but the output is cleaner.  Take a look at Parts Express.com they have a large supply of drivers.  They also suppply knocked down enclosures you can build if you don't want to pay outrageous prices for a used "ham" speaker. 
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »

I am impressed with these little guys for ssb and cw;
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Realistic-Minimus-7-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/114171357
(not my ebay sale)

I use a floor home stereo speaker for ambc and swbc use. Or headphones.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »

Keep in mind some of these solid state HF receivers are not terribly high power audio, when it comes to experimenting with external speakers. Some of the old tube sets were engineered with push pull pentode outputs and supplied a hefty audio drive for a speaker of substantial proportions.  Now these radios often use a little chip that is huffing to produce maybe two watts. And some of the so called "hi fi" speakers are pretty inefficient,  designed to handle a lot of power but not so efficiently.  So look for the most efficient drivers you can.  Seems my expensive ham rig acts like it is running out of steam driving a big oval ext. speaker sometimes.  Metal cased speakers can be damped by putting some fiberglass matting in them.  I did it on the Drake speaker.  But it sounded better with the batting in the rear of the enclosure versus right up against the speaker.       
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: