The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBG restructure - Bill to change the face of international broadcasting  (Read 3764 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:35:17 PM »

The bill would eliminate the nine-member board that oversees the Broadcasting Board of Governors and give the CEO new powers. BBG oversees government-backed, nonmilitary international media outlets including VOA, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and the Middle East Broadcasting Networks.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/defense-bill-would-abolish-bbg-governing-board/161487
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 12:28:37 AM »

The bill would eliminate the nine-member board that oversees the Broadcasting Board of Governors and give the CEO new powers. BBG oversees government-backed, nonmilitary international media outlets including VOA, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and the Middle East Broadcasting Networks.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/defense-bill-would-abolish-bbg-governing-board/161487
   Does this mean that we will be broadcasting more propaganda, instead of balanced news?
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »

We need more balance propaganda on shortwave rather than the endless chinese propaganda stations on every band. Its tough being shortwave listener if you cant understand chinese or you dont want to listen to the highly nauseating American accented propaganda voice from Beijing  rose.

Does this mean that we will be broadcasting more propaganda, instead of balanced news?
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 06:56:09 PM »

We need more balance propaganda on shortwave rather than the endless chinese propaganda stations on every band. Its tough being shortwave listener if you cant understand chinese or you dont want to listen to the highly nauseating American accented propaganda voice from Beijing  rose.

You can always listen to the paranoid propaganda spewing from the pie-hole of Alex Jones. Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31...  He operates 20 meters, on 15...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 10:43:41 PM »

Don't we get a lot of propaganda on CNN?  Shocked
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 04:16:49 AM »

Broadcasting has kinda always been like this. Their funding is tied to it.
 If you don't like what you are hearing and disagree with the agenda, try to find something else that you do like.
 I usually find something that I can stand somewhere else on the band. Or on another band.
 Is it getting more offensive out there? Maybe. There are stations that I avoid, especially the ones that play mind-games that they are all about 'the truth and common sense', etc.
 I miss the innocent music stations like WRNO and KYOI.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 04:21:28 AM by KAPT4560 » Logged
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 07:18:24 AM »

Not on shortwave.  Wink  Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31...  He operates 20 meters, on 15...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KK5JY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »

It would be interesting if one silver lining to all this business is to get back a little SW broadcasting.  After all, if the various state actors start firewalling off their rivals' "propaganda" websites, one of the few ways left to project "news" into those states is via radio.

I can even see a new market for cheap AM SW receivers. States could even subsidize delivery of cheap receivers into foreign markets.  After all, everybody likes free stuff, right? ;-)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 01:07:29 PM »

And don't forget Fox, etc. Modern 'news' organizations have let us down over and over.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »

It would be interesting if one silver lining to all this business is to get back a little SW broadcasting.  After all, if the various state actors start firewalling off their rivals' "propaganda" websites, one of the few ways left to project "news" into those states is via radio.

I can even see a new market for cheap AM SW receivers. States could even subsidize delivery of cheap receivers into foreign markets.  After all, everybody likes free stuff, right? ;-)

I've been thinking about this what with all the manufactured hysteria over "fake news" and efforts to remove it from the net. I was thinking, well if, for example, the fed.gov blocked Americans from being able to access RT, the Russians could simply build a megawatt MW station in extreme east Russia, right on the Bering Strait, and during night time most Americans would be able to tune in. There are far more MW receivers in America than working SW sets. Or, they could put a couple of their old SW transmitters back on the air, but the aforementioned lack of SW receivers in America would be problematic.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »

I have no problem with some American propaganda on the SW bands. That's just me. I grew up listening to international broadcasters including VOA, and welcome the return of something besides RHC and RCI. Maybe that'll spur the rest of the world powers to get back on shortwave where real information and culture can be disseminated in a manner conducive to audience comprehension with the least amount of third party policing.

I can't remember the last time an annoying popup ruined my SW listening experience.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 04:40:18 PM »

I have no problem with some American propaganda on the SW bands. That's just me. I grew up listening to international broadcasters including VOA, and welcome the return of something besides RHC and RCI. Maybe that'll spur the rest of the world powers to get back on shortwave where real information and culture can be disseminated in a manner conducive to audience comprehension with the least amount of third party policing.

I can't remember the last time an annoying popup ruined my SW listening experience.

Can't recall the last time an annoying video ad slowed down my SW radio to a crawl, either.

Like some others expressed here, the whole thing about "fake news" is bothersome. Reeks of censorship, which is much easier to do on the internet than on HF or MW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: