The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the station on 530 KHz?  (Read 60890 times)
KM4JOJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »

I heard this a couple of months ago. My spanish isn't the best; but I did hear it identify as Radio Encyclopedia.

If I hear something besides spanish; it's probably CIAO; I've never confirmed that, though there aren't many stations on 530khz. These days I'm usually hearing two stations trying to mix together.

But: "Power 1,000 watts day, 250 watts night

So? That doesn't mean the station isn't going to get some serious distance at night. I've picked up some stations via skywave that were barely putting out power. WDLR in Delaware, OH puts out 29 watts at night; I've logged it here just south of DC before. One of my local AM stations on 1420 puts out 66 watts at night; it's been logged in Scotland.
K3CXG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »

Not to keep beating a dead topic, but...I heard a station at 10:00 PM EDT on 530, with a prayer after the top of the hour (missed the legal ID, of course), followed by a version of "Amazing Grace".  All of this was in English.  I checked the website for CIAO in Ontario, they list Spanish at that time.  I don't think it was our friends in Havana, either.  Any thoughts? Huh

73, Mike K3CXG
K9RZZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 04:10:19 PM »

Could be a low power station owned by some local church.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »

What a fascinating mystery that seems to be so compelling to follow like a tired old soap opera...So what, it's a mystery station on 530Khz...ohhh...could be Cuba or even Ontario.  Wow!!! such an incredible amount of back and forth speculation as if the guys were trying to pinpoint some alien invader.  Who cares? I read through this and realized how dumb this thread was and how dumb of me to keep reading it.  My bad...
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »

... how dumb this thread ...

Thank you for pointing out how dumb I was to start such a thread, and how dumb all the other posters are. I'll try and do better next time.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 01:26:24 PM »

So what, it's a mystery station on 530Khz...ohhh...could be Cuba or even Ontario.  Wow!!! such an incredible amount of back and forth speculation as if the guys were trying to pinpoint some alien invader.

Or that mystery station could have been related to LYQ in Tennessee, a NonDirectional (aircraft) Beacon briefly on 529 kHz a few years back. It was owned by a screwball ham. LYQ was a sort of "alien Invader" into the AM BCB, and certainly worthy of discussion.

BTW, I wonder if LYQ's license was ever yanked. It was fun to listen to from the car radio at night.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:43 AM »

Sometimes we're just so silly Grin
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 09:28:31 AM »

What a fascinating mystery that seems to be so compelling to follow like a tired old soap opera...So what, it's a mystery station on 530Khz...ohhh...could be Cuba or even Ontario.  Wow!!! such an incredible amount of back and forth speculation as if the guys were trying to pinpoint some alien invader.  Who cares? I read through this and realized how dumb this thread was and how dumb of me to keep reading it.  My bad...

No more "dumb" than half the threads on the DXing forum where guys wax ecstatic about the potential for a couple people with ham rigs to activate some pile of rocks sticking out of the ocean somewhere.

People in the radio hobby get into such intricacies. It's part of the hobby.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:31:22 AM by RENTON481 » Logged
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »

LYQ is a federally licensed Aeronautical Beacon.
LYQ is no pirate station.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 05:15:15 AM »

BTW, I wonder if LYQ's license was ever yanked.

Did anyone say it was unlicensed? However licensing LYQ for 529 kHz, almost on top of those low power highway traffic stations on 530, must have been a government mistake. Do they get requests for new NDBs nowadays? But LYQ's owner, a ham who seems to crave publicity, surely knew what he was doing in requesting that frequency.

529 kHz straddles several worlds including ham, BCB, longwave, and the new 600 meter allocation. Car radios picked up LYQ all over the Midwest and East. Here's a 2012 discussion from a ham in Pennsylvania who heard LYQ on his breadboarded crystal set.
http://theradioboard.com/rb/viewtopic.php?t=4508

Safe to say LYQ was the most notorious NDB in its brief history and a lot more interesting than an incessant parade of posts about Popular Electronics "WPE Licenses."  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:06:38 PM by K0OD » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: