Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you want , in your QRP Radio of Tomorrow?  (Read 8627 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »

Anyone want to say?
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »

How about something real easy - a keyer with serial number increment/decrement control. Why aren't they in the rigs of today. Actually the 703 had one and it was easy to use. Its not like cutting edge technology or anything. If you going to build a nice radio then go cheap on the keyer? What's tell me?

You were probably looking for something moe cutting edge?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 05:22:26 AM »

Actually, I prefer my QRP rigs to not be too cutting edge. A synthesizer for stability is good. It should have a simple keyer with a "knob" speed control. All the commonly used controls should be on the front panel and not buried in a menu someplace. Menus should be reserved for calibration and settings that are seldom changed during operation. It should be simple to operate and easy to maintain. A kit option is desirable.

WA0ZZG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »

I would want a radio designed to be used outdoors.  Works with a less than perfect antenna. OK with the wrong supply voltage and polarity. SSB, with levels that set themselves, like a marine radio. CW with a built in waterproof keyer.  Big knobs on a ugly grey box.
The most popular camera of all time is the Argus C3.  Known as the 'Brick'. Looks like it was beat up with an ugly stick. It was built through WWII until the early 1960's. Chrome trim didn't make it look any better. It makes a very strange klank.
How may had one?
Dave WA0ZZG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argus_C3

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:54:05 AM »

Make it a ready to go design.

It would be a true 'grab and go' e-comm design. It would sit up right like the KX1/PFR3/R4020,4030. The radio would be built and fitted into a rugged water resistant case with a detachable lid. The case would be 1 foot long by 1 foot wide and 6 inches high.

Inside the detachable lid would contain a small solar panel to charge batteries. The battery compartment  can fit either a small gell cell or a battery holder with 10 AA or 10 D Cells. The radio would have a charge controller to charge the gel cell or 10 AA or D battery pack. Alkaline or rechargable batteries could be used with the battery pack.

A switch would enable charging from the solar panel to the batteries, or allow battery operation only with no charging, or allow an external power from a car cigarette lighter outlet or a conventional 13.8 volt external power supply. The radio could be used while the batteries are charging or not charging. The operating voltage range would be from 9 volts to 15 volts and polarity protected.

The band coverage would be 40 through 10 meters and modes would be CW/SSB/AM. The radio would have a frequency digital readout that could be switched off to save power and an 'analog mode' with a plain dial could be switched on to save even more power.

The radio since it is built into the case upright, would also have room for a built in fixed manual CW key while allowing a paddle keyer to be used instead if the operator wanted to plug it in at his or her preference.

A microphone would be already fitted to the radio in the case for SSB operation. The microphone would come standard with the radio. Lightweight earphones would also come standard and connected to the radio.

The radio would also include a built in (manual) tuner with an analog meter (to save on power).  The tuner would be capable of coax and random wire antennas. A random wire antenna and ground wire would also come standard with the radio.

A built in audio amp would give the operator the option of audio output that could be loud enough to heard in a room or outdoors through the built in speaker... could either be switched on or off to save power.

This would be a true 'grab and go' design. It would be ready to go at any time and everything that is needed to get on the air, self contained in a case already connected up and ready to turn on.

Open the case, turn on the radio, throw up the included random wire antenna into the trees, connected the included ground wire and you are there.

Of course you could use any antenna you wanted and any key and any kind of power source by just plugging it in...but you would not need to!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:01:30 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »

I'd want mine to include a flexible whip antenna no longer than 1-foot attached to the case. Of course it should work 160M thru 10M, require no ground radials, and have an efficiency of at least 98% on 160M  Grin
NV1P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:21:02 AM »

I'd want mine to include a flexible whip antenna no longer than 1-foot attached to the case. Of course it should work 160M thru 10M, require no ground radials, and have an efficiency of at least 98% on 160M  Grin

I'd be willing to compromise for lower efficiency, say 85% on 160M, if the antenna was internal to the box. It would also have to put out a full 5W and be able to last 5 hours at full power on the internal battery, assuming 10% TX/90% RX.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »

This is nice, hope kit designers are reading your posts. Also have a question ,why not have MW RX for weather and locating zombi
attacks?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:42:29 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
W8BS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »

Put Wx recieve in the FT-817 ND along with factory DSP and that should do the trick.

KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 05:46:07 AM »

Transmit coverage on the most popular bands: 10, 15, 20 and 40 m.  Personally, I don't see the need for 80 and 160 m because these two bands require substantial antennas and for me QRP is almost synonymous with portable operations, so I am limited in terms of antenna size

General coverage receive, from 0.55 to 30 MHz

All mode operation: CW, SSB, AM, digital modes, simplex and semi-duplex

Low power consumption: <0.5 A on receive, <1.5 A on transmit

Keep it simple to keep power consumption and cost down.

Few basic, straightforward controls and knobs.  Rotary controls for audio and RF gain, tuning.  Most (preferably all) functions accessible from dedicated buttons, instead of menus (for example, dedicated buttons for band, mode, transmit power, split operation, memory access).

Dual BFO in order to operate split without having to use memories

At least 20 frequency memories, preferably more

Scan functions (in band, between memory edges, memory scan).

Internal (removable) rechargeable battery pack that would last at least 4-6 hours.

"Full power" 5W in all modes + a low power setting (~1 W)

Simple but effective voice processing (compression) to give extra "punch" to the audio

Possibility to use with wide range of power supply voltages (from 9 to 15 volts) at full power

It would be nice to have a 10 or 20W model (or being able to adjust the transmit power via internal dip switches), requiring less than 4-5 A power supply.

Illuminated display

Rugged and portable, able to withstand occasional bumps and bruises when backpacking

And most important, keep the price under $500, even if this requires to limit some of the functionality.

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »

Do you think you would want ,to listen to emergency signals when your in the deep outback? Some of you may want to take a look at a SDR/Analog integrated QRP radio at,www.sdr-cube.com. I think this type of radio is the Future for most of us.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:13:57 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

Some of you may want to take a look at a SDR/Analog integrated QRP radio at,www.sdr-cube.com.[/b]

I'm absolutely amazed at how little I hear of this rig. You'd think it would be the talk of the town on various internet forums, but instead.....crickets chirping.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »

Echoing some of the above comments:
Rugged, weather resistant design.
Able to run from internal battery, detachable battery pack, external 9-24VDC input, plus a 110-220V internal supply / charger.
External DC or AC power would charge internal re-chargable battery pack.
Detachable Battery pack should be an integral part of the design and not be a delicate failure waiting to happen when attached.
All connections (maybe except power) on the front panel, can be stood upright or operated in a backpack.
Good heatsinks, no fans needed.
10-20W maximum RF output. Power level settable from 100mW to max, with good efficiency at low power for battery life.
Dual VFO, (with a knob)
Display on/off, backlight on/off switches.
Easy to use menu is OK as long as common functions are front panel switches.
Possible built-in Digital mode operation if the unit has a keypad. (Phone style keypad)
160M - 6M operation, 2M / 440 would be nice.
AM, FM, SSB, Digital operation.
In addition:
2 USB ports (rig control / internal soundcard) for connection to laptop or netbook for digital operation.
Internal wide-range auto (preferable) or manual antenna tuner.
Modular internal design, open the case and replace (or possibly bypass some) bad modules.

If done correctly, this won't be cheap..

I'd be happy with one of these, take out the encryption devices and add USB ports.. But, they go for over $30,000 each on the current GSA contract.
http://rf.harris.com/media/RF-5800H-MP_Web_tcm26-9118.pdf

We can always dream..
73!
Bill AB9TA

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »

Well, Bill, its nice an all, but I'm looking For a QRP radio that cost a little less then that one.Hi Hi
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 12:25:09 PM »

W4KYR came closest to hitting the mark for me.  Wink
It could even be a 20w rig, adjustable down for 'pure' QRP. And tuning capability built-in of an Elecraft T1 to match a coathanger if needed or a barbed-wire fence; if you can't make it better than a snobby 3:1, leave out the tuning & just take along the T1.

Take modern technology & scale up the old FT70G in terms of capability, which could scale it down in size. The whole ball of wax (a "system") shouldn't make a dent in the pannier of a horse (or motorcycle). 2 ant outputs like the 817 so you can run VHF & HF at the same time if you need to.

Besides handling thrown speaker wire, it'll have a jungle-style whip - made for it - that has the resilency of a Stanley steel tape measure.
Standard xmit relay output on the back, no fancy DIN plugs - a piece of shielded wire with an RCA will let it plug into anything bigger once it gets home. Builit-in keyer, built-in CW & SSB filtering.

NO receive band thru UHF is excluded. (That the 817 can't catch many real-world NOAA towers is simply stupid.)
Think tactical. Alot of little rigs come close - but they ALL are missing some things.
Built like a brick, ruckable; and I don't mean in Buffy's little slick nylon daypack.
 Cool

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: