Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you want , in your QRP Radio of Tomorrow?  (Read 8142 times)
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »

http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/kx3.htm
AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »

Speaking of the KX3, weren't they supposed to start taking orders this month? Looks like they're going to miss the Holiday shopping season.
That's a promising little radio, I'm looking forward to the initial reviews.

73!
Bill AB9TA
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »

Who ,are designing your favorite kits and what do you like best about them?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:57:08 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 09:20:40 AM »

A KX-3 with a simpler, more analog-like user interface, for half the price.

Why is anybody interested in the SDR-cube?  It's a KX-3 with only one band, for $150 off.  Why is this good?

-k
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »

Things are OK the way they are.

Like someone said, you're gonna have to
pay, and pay BIG TIME for the extra bands, extra modes, higher
power option, wideband receive, waterproof enclosure,
split VFO's etc.
Will YOU pay for that stuff?
Seriously? I doubt it....hams are cheap.

I like my simple monoband, one mode QRP kit rigs.
Though I DO wish more of them had AGC.
(But you can make a crude but effective mod for most.)

Who ,are designing your favorite kits and what do you like best about them?
Radio-Kits in the UK, though they currently only offer
one model.The MKARS80, 80m SSB QRP.

Inexpensive but excellent quality. About $85-90 (depending
on exchange rate) gets you an excellent receiver, built in
LCD fequency display (find THAT in a US kit at that price)
great double sided silkscreened plated through board, super
quality parts, exellent assembly manual, great support and
Yahoo users group, oh yeah, AND an undriled enclosure.
$90 USD shipped from UK.
You can't find some sond card interface kits that cheap.
73, Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:27:41 AM by AD6KA » Logged
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

Why is anybody interested in the SDR-cube?  It's a KX-3 with only one band, for $150 off.  Why is this good?

-k
I don't agree.It has bands from 80 m to 15 m.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »

Here is my favorite -- Small Wonder Labs DSW-II. (I have the 20 mtr and 40 mtr versions.)  I do not recall the price, but as with all of Dave Benson's kits, it was the best value anywhere. 

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3255

Unfortunately, it is out of production.......  but if you find one, you would be wise to grab it.

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI   

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »

I want it to be water proof with protective cover, have DPS, low power use, have build in tuner or manual tuner with tuning LED its case should be green or yellow and  Note: Tell me what I've left out or need to include?
QRPNEW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »

KX3 covers all HF bands in CW and SSB. It has SDR architecture. Its probably the most advanced QRP radio ever made. I think its going to be a huge hit. You will soon get bored and frustrated shouting out with 10 watts on SSB with simple antennas. 10 watts on CW is like 100 watts of SSB so you will enjoy the KX3 on this mode. What I dont like about the KX3 amplifier is that its only 100 watts. If they made it 200 watts you would probably never need a big linear.  A 200 watt linear would have  been more useful on SSB.

What I dont like about it is that it does not have a built in  Lithium batteries. Its not waterproof and rugged. The power is too low for SSB. They should have made it a 25 watt radio. I will stick with my FT817 which is much neater and the extra 5 watts wont make a hell of a difference on SSB.  You can hang the FT817 around your neck and it wont tire you out. The battery life is also very short on the KX3 its so power hungry.

The K1 is superb CW radio I have built 2 of them. It sounds better on CW than the K3. Something about those analog filters.

I like homebrewing small CW  radios. I also like DC radio receivers for SSB. No its not high tech but its better than any digital wonder box. New technology is not necessary better on radio you dealing with the laws of physics. Man made noise and simple antennas will always restrict the performance of any so called QRP radio regardless of how good it is. There is little point in having the worlds best receiver when you using something thats a bit better than a dummy load for the antenna. You will also never  encounter signals that will block your receiver.

I have a Type A MK3 spy suitcase radio that works as well today as any other radio with simple antennas. This is a radio that should be in a museum. I take it out on field day and people are amazed at how well it works considering how simple and old it is.

The ultimate QRP radio of tomorrow is the Harris Falcon manpack which you can buy today. The price will hurt you though

-k
I don't agree.It has bands from 80 m to 15 m.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: