Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UTC time clock for computer desktop  (Read 14649 times)
FROG

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »

Does anyone have a link that has a UTC time clock that can be downloaded onto the desktop of a windows 7 computer. I tried one but the clock downloaded but has no min or hr hands...just a clock...I have a 64 bit operating system..I think the one I downloaded was for 32 bit..anyway would be nice to have on the desktop to view while doing contacts...
 Thanks for the help
 Frog
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »

Why not buy a large inexpensive clock and set it to UTC time. I have one in front of my transceiver that I use to record contact time. It is always there and I do not have to turn my computer on to see the UTC time. I set my clock once a week to WWV, and its keeps accurate time to +- a few seconds.

Just an opinion.

73s

K2OWK
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 05:04:22 AM »

Search for Ham Clock.
It provides a window with both local time and date and GMT and date.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »

I like this one: http://www.sb-software.com/nixieclock/
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »

A clock for HAM SHACK use on the desktop is ok..  ONLY IF you have your computer set to UTC time AND date. Otherwise your logging data will be incorrect. If you don't have your computer set to UTC time and date, then I agree with a prior post of just having a separate inexpensive 24 hour battery operated clock.  Mine happens to be the "atomic" variety that receives time / date data from WWV.  My clock also displays the DATE, so just a quick glance gives accurate data for the log, Etc.  In the excitement of a rare contact, or in the heat of contest or pileup, you never have to worry about "converting" time/date in your head. There's an added benefit (?) of a ham radio conversation starter when a guest sees your "clock" on the wall and not only wonders why the 24 hour time doesn't match with "local" time, but also WHY it is a DAY OFF as well.
Hope you find your software app for your computer... I'm sure there are lots out there.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »

...I agree with a prior post of just having a separate inexpensive 24 hour battery operated clock.  Mine happens to be the "atomic" variety that receives time / date data from WWV. 

I found accurate UTC time a problem while mobile, and I bought a $25 Casio watch to fix the problem.  Sets itself to WWVH every night, solar powered (no battery replacement needed), and with a couple of button presses, you can set it to show UTC on the main display.  I took the band off it and stuck it to my dashboard with a scrap of coax-seal.  :-)  It works so well I bought another of the exact same watch for my home station.   Very convenient!
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »

My desktop PC currently uses Microsoft VISTA Home Premium Edition 64-bit OS installed with SP2.

I discovered that my Task Bar adjust "DATE and TIME" function has the ability to add up to two "Additional Clocks" beyond the default LOCAL TIME clock or a total of up to three clocks.

So, I added a second "UTC Clock" that displays next to the default "Local Time" on the Task Bar.

Clock-1: (Default) LOCAL TIME = (GMT -05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) for QTH at SNJ.
Clock-2: (Optional) UTC CLOCK = (GMT) Coordinated Universal Time

Also, reset the "Customize Regional Options" on CONTROL PANEL for the TIME Format to display 24-Hour format versus the standard default 12-hour one.

The TASK BAR clock by default will always display the LOCAL TIME. But, you can see all clocks by clicking on or  hovering the mouse over the TIME displayed. You'll see the two clocks LOCAL TIME and UTC TIME displayed.

Take a look at these functions on your PC to see if the added options are available to you. If so, no need for additional external clock, extra software, or added cost.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:16:50 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »

A clock for HAM SHACK use on the desktop is ok..  ONLY IF you have your computer set to UTC time AND date. Otherwise your logging data will be incorrect. If you don't have your computer set to UTC time and date, then I agree with a prior post of just having a separate inexpensive 24 hour battery operated clock.  Mine happens to be the "atomic" variety that receives time / date data from WWV.  My clock also displays the DATE, so just a quick glance gives accurate data for the log, Etc.  In the excitement of a rare contact, or in the heat of contest or pileup, you never have to worry about "converting" time/date in your head. There's an added benefit (?) of a ham radio conversation starter when a guest sees your "clock" on the wall and not only wonders why the 24 hour time doesn't match with "local" time, but also WHY it is a DAY OFF as well.
Hope you find your software app for your computer... I'm sure there are lots out there.

I have my task bar clock set to local time and my logging program (XMLog) set to UTC date and time.  I thought all logging programs did this.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »

A clock for HAM SHACK use on the desktop is ok..  ONLY IF you have your computer set to UTC time AND date. Otherwise your logging data will be incorrect.

Not true. If the UTC clock app has a setup that allows the offset to be defined, the PC system clock could be set to local and the UTC app would show correct for Zulu time. Most, if not all, logging programs do this to show and record UTC time in the QSO data.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »

Win 7 32 and 64 both support the second clock option like vista. You can swap them around however you like.  I use my Ham Radio Deluxe clock and set it to UTC usually when i'm operating, logging anyhow.

Have fun & 73  De Dave KD8GEH
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »

I use NixClock (free), which is a pretty neat little desktop clock that looks like Nixie tubes, set to 24 hour time - it also shows seconds and will show the date if you want.

I use Dimension 4 (free) to keep the computer clock synchronized to NIST...transparent, and works well as when I compare to my "atomic clock" the Nixie is just about spot on.

Richard
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »

NIST has a page about this:

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm

FYI, there's this:

http://time.gov/

There are some clocks that sync with WWVB:

http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2422.pdf
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:05:28 PM by KD6KWZ » Logged
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »

Check out Ham radio toolbar on Google. Cool small bar
w/ LOTS of info.

John Wink
W4XK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 06:43:41 PM »

Google Alpha Clock, a neat little digital display you can put anywhere on the desktop. It displays your PC clock, and I think you can set it for a time zone different from your computer,
such as UTC. Then Google Dimension 4 V5.0. It will update your PC clock every 15 min. if you are connected to the internet. I keep a UTC display at the bottom of the desktop all the time.
Try it! You'll like it!

Bill W4XK
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »

My normal comptuer runs local time, my logging computer runs UTC time and date with a  note on the monitor that says "this computer runs Zulu time."
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: