Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfacing an FT847 to a Computer.  (Read 2630 times)
KD1I

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:19:19 AM »

OK, my Dear Digital Colleagues, Here's a slam dunk for some of you experts ( I hope). I have a question about interfacing an FT847 to a computer running Logger 32.   It just will not work.   I have a friend who has an FT2000 and it works just fine.  I am using a crossover cable for TX & Rec.   I made up a "modem" that ties pins 7 & 8 together for RTS and CTS, also tied 1,4 & 6 for DTR, DCD and DSR.   Set the baud rate at the FT to 9600, same at the Logger 32.  I made Comm2 active and set the computer for 8 bits, no parity and 2 stop bits as the FT847 asks for in its manual.   I have played with all the combinations I could think of in Logger.   Still nada. No communications.  The FT847 only uses Tx, Rx and ground.   It is supposed to show frequency on the Logger or set the frequency of the radio.  I had one other FT847 owner who said he did not need anything other than Rx, Tx and gnd but he was not using Logger 32.   Any thoughts on this?   ( I know, buy the FT2000).
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:27:21 PM »

847 is a bit weird. I have one and frankly Ham Radio Deluxe was the only program to talk to it the first time I tried. (DX Lab is the only OTHER one I have managed to get working.)

Try turning off the radio, starting the logging program and then turn on the radio. See if that helps.

Also, I assume when you say crossover cable you mean a null modem yes?

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »

Forum Administrator,

I posted a response to this thread earlier today and saw it had posted OK. Now it is gone? What gives?

*** Ignore above. Was taken in by a crossposting of same topic in the DIGITAL forum. I understood the Digital forum is for DIGITAL modes, not digital interfacing issues Huh

Repost of my 10:01AM reply ....

Not familiar with the FT847 but most (if not all) Kenwoods of that era use 4800 baudrate, 7 bits data, 2 stop bits, no parity. Sounds like a config problem as most 3 wire serial interfaces problems usually come down to a baud rate / bit size config error. Recheck your manual to ensure it isn't set wrong. Also use a simple terminal program like Hyperterminal to see if you can just communicate at message level instead of using Logger32. That will help eliminate 1/2 of the software config issues until you can get it to communicate.

Gene W5DQ
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:41:34 AM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:31:45 AM »

Thanks for the reply, guys.   I have tried all of those things, including making a homemade null at the computer end for the other enable signals. I tried 4800 and 9600 baud rates and matched both ends. The 847 uses 8 bits, no parity, 2 stop bits.   it is a very simple communications.   I contacted Yaesu and they had basically the same ideas.   Configured VT100 terminal emulator on my laptop and will try that tonight. Perhaps one or the other port is defective. It is possibly a defective UART.    73, Jim
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:06:38 AM »

OK, half of the mystery is solved. Last night I connected my laptop to the radio running logger 32.   It works great.  Very easy to configure. Radio frequency changes the log freq and clicking on a DX spot changes the radio freq and band. It seems the problem is the comm port on the computer is defective.   I am going to change the motherboard this AM and see if that fixes it. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.     73,   Jim
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »

Well, after wasting a huge amount of time swapping motherboards and back again, I have the answer.  It was a configuration issue in BIOS !!!   Who knew comm ports could even be configured there besides in device manager???    For anyone who cares or has this experience, It is in Bios setup/ advanced/ console redirection.   Make the Com Port address "On board Com B"   Set the baud rate to what is desired, 9600 in this case. Set the console type to VT 100 8 bit and flow control to 'none'. Console connection to 'direct' and 'continue CR after POST to:  'ON'.        Then in your program, Logger 32 in my case, Set the radio to Com1, 9600, 8 bits, no parity and 2 stop bits. Also set the radio type (mine is an FT847)   Set RTS to high.

So there it is. After much pain....a learning experience about bios.

My "Thanks" to all who wrote with their suggestions....a true Ham community.   73, Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: