Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: could overhead power lines cause radio interference...  (Read 2332 times)
BPONG

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »

i know this has been discussed alot on this site.
here is my question about it, and the situation it involves.

im a member of a model flying club.  our flying field is small, its about 400 by 600 ft.
for this year, i would like to broadcast from our flying field for field day.
there is a tall problem though;  there are tall towers (probably 200 feet tall) that are
carrying power lines and they border the north end of our flying field.  my station will
be set at about 600 feet away, south of these power lines.

how much radio interference could this present to my portable station ?
i will be using an inverted V, center fed zep, 33ft high, tuning via an icom AH-4.

i guess the best test is to do a setup before field day to see how much (if any) interference
exists, if any.

thanx in advance.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »

As a general rule I find that these "high tension" lines radiate less RFI than the local residential lines. I expect that is because they are probably better maintained. I would certainly take the time to drive a mobile station out there and see what the noise level actually is on the bands you intend to use. You don't really duplicate the field day setup and antenna.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »

What AA4PB said.  It isn't worth worrying about since there isn't much interference from such high-tension lines.  One field day site I used to go to was within sight of a power substation, and there was no appreciable interference from that or the lines tied into it.

If it will make you feel better about your choice, go there before hand with your rigs and see.  I think you'll be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: