Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we allow to talk to Space Aliens on HAM frequency ?  (Read 10072 times)
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »

Oh great!

Has anyone QSOed with Elvis lately?

Bill in Pasadena, CA (home of JPL, who would be talking to aliens if anyone is)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »

It is perfectly legal as long as you stay within the frequency privileges of your license class.
Note, however, a USA FCC licensed amateur operator must operate equipment that is
permanently installed in an operational spacecraft located outside earth orbit and said
spacecraft must be travelling at greater than Celarus. Watch out for Doppler Shift.

For more information become fully familiar with FCC Rules and Regualtions Part 13 subsection
3.88 e^8 and-or listen to George Noorey on Coast-To-Coast AM radio.

Interesting, but wouldn't it be a violation of FCC rules to communicate with an alien on amateur frequencies, if the alien was unlicensed?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »

Oh great!

Has anyone QSOed with Elvis lately?

Bill in Pasadena, CA (home of JPL, who would be talking to aliens if anyone is)
   Not on ham frequencies, because Elvis was a CBer!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:12 AM »

Interesting, but wouldn't it be a violation of FCC rules to communicate with an alien on amateur frequencies, if the alien was unlicensed?

That's handled just like any other "freebander" issue--if the guy has a valid sounding callsign and is in the right part of whatever band it is, you can assume you're working a licensed ham, even if he IS from another planet.

I believe the callsigns allocated to Mars begin with "pi" (the symbol, not the number.) 

That guy signing "Gamma Lambda Three Radio Delta" might really be on one of Saturn's moons, or he might be "Slim."  But you know the rule:  WFWL.

KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 07:58:57 AM »

Mars was booming in 5/9 yesterday all over ten meters. They all promised me a qsl card. Can I count it towards WAP (Worked all Planets)?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »

Mars was booming in 5/9 yesterday all over ten meters. They all promised me a qsl card. Can I count it towards WAP (Worked all Planets)?
    Only if you can verify the contacts.  Did you get their call signs and their Martian QTH, or were they operating "astronomical mobiles"?
W5CBO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 07:29:12 AM »

Channel 19 is a pretty good watering hole for Aliens.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »

Yep, almost as good as 14.313!
N1EQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »

Not really...
http://www.setileague.org/general/waterhol.htm
 Grin
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »

Not really...
 Grin

Interesting.  Can Hams utilize those frequencies?  We have made many communications breakthroughs in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised if we could be the first ones to communicate with extraterrestrials!  In fact, we should be able to reach some of those low flying UFOs with just our HTs!  Smiley
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 04:27:29 PM »

Must be a slow news day at EHam... Huh

Larry, N2HBX
W4HLN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »

You'd think if they were smart enough to fly a rocket or UFO they'd have the brains to pass an extra exam.....I'ts not like the test questions answers arent spread universe wide! So Easy....A Caveman could do it!

Ernie / W4HLN
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »

Kirk to Enterprise...Scotty, beam me up! What? Scotty, what do you mean by CQDX CQDX? Oh, that's not you, Scotty? Well who the heck is this K4JC character and why does he want my call sign?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 09:45:44 AM »

Kirk to Enterprise...Scotty, beam me up! What? Scotty, what do you mean by CQDX CQDX? Oh, that's not you, Scotty? Well who the heck is this K4JC character and why does he want my call sign?
   Kirk:  "Mr. Spock, why are my feet pointing backwards since I beamed up?"  Spock:  "It appears Captain, that there may have been a transporter malfunction caused by electromagnetic interference.  Apparently, an alien on the planet's surface was utilizing an illegal 500 Gigawatt linear amplifier on the ancient Earth CB band.  I will notify the Federation Communications Commission immediately!" 
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »

Not really...
 Grin

Interesting.  Can Hams utilize those frequencies?  We have made many communications breakthroughs in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised if we could be the first ones to communicate with extraterrestrials!  In fact, we should be able to reach some of those low flying UFOs with just our HTs!  Smiley

The water hole frequencies are typically allocated to radio astronomy. There are several other chunks of spectrum that are very good for radio astronomical observations. They are actually bands because while they are based upon very specific spectral bands they allocate room on each side to account for doppler shift.

You can receive all you want (and it is an important hobby somewhat related to amateur radio) but unless we have a particular allocation in that spectrum to transmit you would just end up causing QRM to radio-telescopes that have sensitivities measured in Jansky's 10-26 watt/(meter2 Hertz)

http://www.setileague.org/articles/protectd.htm

http://astrosurf.com/luxorion/radioastronomy.htm

It is likely that their communications technology is even more removed than a comparison of 100 years of technology is for us. In that time we went from spark-gap to things like OFDM.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:13:00 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: