Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K3 vs Jupiter  (Read 6303 times)
AA2CB

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »

I'm looking at a CW rig for myself. The Elecraft K3 looks good and people seem to like it. Its around $2500.00 with the optional filters.
The Ten Tec Jupiter is around just under $2000.00 and seems to have the CW filters installed standard if I understand correctly.

Anyone have any experience as to which radio they like better? Based on CW use, user friendly and easy to use? I know Ten Tec has great customer support. How about Elecraft?

Any comments are appreciated.

RK/ AA2CB
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:32:03 PM »

Join the Elecraft reflector to see how people feel about their K3's and customer support --

http://www.elecraft.com/elist.html

The Jupiter design is at least 12 years old; the Elecraft is right up-to-the-minute, with impressive rejection of out-of-band signals.

Charles
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »

Is there anything wrong with the TenTec Eagle?

Charles
AA2CB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:56:25 PM »

No. The eagle looks good too. The ad on the Ten Tec site does not talk much about the CW filters. The radio does look simple to use. It would be nice to have multiplte key/ keyer jacks though.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »

The Jupiter is not even in the same league as the K3; I've operated a Jupiter and own a K3.  The K3 has DSP filtering down to 50 Hz, plus a CW audio peaking filter (APF) that really works well.  You get these features with the standard 2.7 KHz roofing filter that comes with the K3.  The additional CW roofing filters do help a lot in competitive situations.  If you want to keep the cost down, you could just install one.  If I had to live with just one crystal roofing filter in my K3, I'd go with the 400 Hz 8-pole.

Chuck  NI0C
N0OKS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »

I have a K3 / 10 / kit. Its wonderful and not so far beyond of me as I have had it for a year. Its not that the K3 is difficult to use, quite the contrary. Its just such a fabulous rig and I am not that great an operator.

I bought the 400 Hz filter and then the 1,000 Hz filter. I rarely use the 400 Hz filter but I did use it a few times during the ARRL 10 meter contest last weekend. I S & P with the 1,000 Hz filter.

Mark, NØOKS
KF7IPW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »

Not to totally steal the thread... BUT....
Wouldn't the Orion I or II be a more fair comparison?
It seems to me a very nice used Orion I can be had for $1500-2000.
I'm also in the market for a "post" Christmas purchase and I'm just debating
over the K3 vs. Orion.

Stan 
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 03:26:36 PM »

I'm looking at a CW rig for myself. The Elecraft K3 looks good and people seem to like it. Its around $2500.00 with the optional filters.
The Ten Tec Jupiter is around just under $2000.00 and seems to have the CW filters installed standard if I understand correctly.

Anyone have any experience as to which radio they like better? Based on CW use, user friendly and easy to use? I know Ten Tec has great customer support. How about Elecraft?

Any comments are appreciated.

RK/ AA2CB
The Jupiter should cost around $1200.00, check out the eham reviews, for the jupiter
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 05:39:54 AM »

It's not quite an apples to apples comparison. Jupiter DSP is way behind what's in the K3 or the Eagle. And the Jupiter's receiver specs are at a distinct disadvantage because it's an upconverting radio.

I bought the Eagle but the K3 was the other contender.

Any rig benefits from more crystal filters in tight situations, but the DSP in both the K3 and Eagle is damn damn good and obviates the need for CW crystal filter(s) for a lot of circumstances. Crystal filters cost about the same for either of them.

Tim.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:19:56 PM »

It's not quite an apples to apples comparison. Jupiter DSP is way behind what's in the K3 or the Eagle. And the Jupiter's receiver specs are at a distinct disadvantage because it's an upconverting radio.

I bought the Eagle but the K3 was the other contender.

Any rig benefits from more crystal filters in tight situations, but the DSP in both the K3 and Eagle is damn damn good and obviates the need for CW crystal filter(s) for a lot of circumstances. Crystal filters cost about the same for either of them.

Tim.
So how do you like the TenTec eagle?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »

So how do you like the TenTec eagle?

Love it. Have had it about 6 weeks now and have been using it in both casual CW use and for all the major November CW contests. 2853 QSO's in the first month, is a pretty good start :-).

And you know what? I never even opened the user manual. It's that easy.

Some of the local guys in the club tried to get me into the SSB SS but when I said "mike-row-phone?" they got the idea :-). I think there was one in the box.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:28:48 PM by N3QE » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »

Quote from N3QE:
Love it. Have had it about 6 weeks now and have been using it in both casual CW use and for all the major November CW contests. 2853 QSO's in the first month, is a pretty good start :-).

Good for you, Tim.  I worked you in the ARRL 160m test recently, when you were holding forth around 1812 or so.  The rig sounded good!

Chuck  NI0C
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »

I have the Jupiter and am happy with it, but no, it isn't a fair comparison to the K3. The Eagle would fair better against the K3, as would the Orions.

The Jupiter made a great step-up rig for me from a Yaesu 450, and is a fine CW rig, just not in the league of the others mentioned. You can find a good used Jupiter for $800-$900 dollars, and they are a steal at that price, IMO.
AA2CB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »

Im looking closer at the Eagle. It has what I want-- two vfo's with split operation. I can get a 600hz and 300hz filter with it. And it looks simple to use.
The K3 looks like a really cool radio. But it reminds me of a Casio watch with a hundred functions you never use because you dont have the time to learn them. If I have to spend more time studying the manual than being on the air Im not going to be happy.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »

Im looking closer at the Eagle. It has what I want-- two vfo's with split operation. I can get a 600hz and 300hz filter with it. And it looks simple to use.
The K3 looks like a really cool radio. But it reminds me of a Casio watch with a hundred functions you never use because you dont have the time to learn them. If I have to spend more time studying the manual than being on the air Im not going to be happy.

I have the Eagle and am a big fan of it... but realistically any radio from the past 30+ years has two VFO's and split operation and you can buy extra filters for any radio too.

I'm a big fan of the Eagle, I own one and love it, but I think you hit on perhaps its major user interface weak point: it has RIT doesn't have a dedicated RIT knob. (The MULTI knob can be used for RIT but that requires activating a front panel second function... and if you leave it activated you might be surprised what your next keypress does. Not that I'm hitting the front panel keypresses all that often.) It has two VFO's but does not have two VFO knobs. It's far from the easiest radio in terms of allowing easy front panel control of the two VFO's, it turns into a copy AB then a swap AB operation if you want to SPLIT from the front panel.

Leaving the RIT active and controlled by the MULTI knob is a reasonable approach if you're working DX split. But for DX'ing what they really should've put on is a XIT knob.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: