Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Cards: How close is close enough?  (Read 3352 times)
AK4KZ

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »

I have a dilemma that I'm hoping to get some advice/guidance on. I don't think there are any hard fast rules but I'm interested in others' take on it.

I'm getting ready to order QSL cards. I currently live in North Charleston and would love to put a picture of Charleston on the cards. For someone who's not from around here, it's a great view of a beautiful city. But, in a few weeks, I'm hoping to move about 5 miles down the road to Ladson. Ladson's a nice place but I don't think there are any visuals that would make someone say, "oohh.. that's Ladson!"

I'd like to use the Charleston picture but it's really about 10 miles away in what's technically another city. I mean, if you got my QSL card and thought, "ooh.. that's Ladson", it wouldn't be quite honest. Now, if you got my QSL overseas.. well.. it's a fair representation of the area from a view that far away.

The problem is that I'm on the fence and need some knocking off. What do y'all think?

73, Chris - AK4KZ
KA7GKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

Why don't you simply take a nice photo of the area and then take it to a printer to use it for your QSL card.
There is not steadfast rule that you must have an exact photo of your area.
Many simply use a nice scene etc.

Martin  ka7gkn
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:13:58 AM »

I love Charleston--I've got 5 framed pictures in my work cubicle, and 3 of them are from your fair city.  :-)  I'd say use a Charleston shot, and don't worry about a bit of distance between your antenna and Meeting Street or 82 Queen.   ;-)  You live on the edge of one of America's most charming cities--why not use it on your QSL?

I've been pleased with "standard postcards" from Vistaprint as QSLs--inexpensive and fast, and I like creating my own cards and uploading the design, like this one for my portable ops:

http://www.duke.edu/~kuzen001/mowerqsl1.jpg
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45:39 AM »

I'd like to use the Charleston picture but it's really about 10 miles away in what's technically another city.
73, Chris - AK4KZ

Its entirely your choice what goes on the card picture wise. Mine currently is a shield bug, a photo taken in Majorca, yet my QTH is northern England. If that city view is your favourite, use it.

My images generally cannot be tied to one place, there normally close ups of animals etc, but i would certainly use a nice photo of Selby abbey, even though the town of Selby is 5miles from me, or a view of the city of York, despite being over 30miles away, but that is our county capital

AB2NM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »

In my opinion, you’re over-thinking it, OM.  The photo is an accurate representation of the architectural and cultural attributes of your area or region.  If you can ride your bicycle to this view, it is “in the neighborhood” and that’s close enough.  If it will ease your conscience, add the disclaimer “This is about 10 miles away from my home.”  Now all the bases are covered.    Depending on how many cards you order, and the rate at which you use them, you may someday move to Charleston - problem solved. 
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »

In my opinion, you’re over-thinking it, OM.

No doubt about it. That's what makes it a dilemma.

If it will ease your conscience, add the disclaimer “This is about 10 miles away from my home.”  Now all the bases are covered.

LOL.. "Disclaimer: This picture may or may not be an accurate representation of the area immediately surrounding the operators position. Any decision to move to this area should NOT be based entirely on the graphical representation contained herein. This photograph is copyrighted. All rights reserved. Any unauthorized use of this photo will most likely go unnoticed subject to circulation. Notice: This QSL card is not for internal use or consumption and may contain peanuts or peanut by-products which may be hazardous to individuals with allergies."

Yeah.. I might need a bigger card ;-)

Depending on how many cards you order, and the rate at which you use them, you may someday move to Charleston - problem solved.

Gosh, I hope not. This home is supposed to be our "live there until we die" home.

Chris
AK4KZ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »

Well, I do live in Ladson.  I guess if you use a picture of Charleston on your QSL me, and the boys, will have to come by and rough you up a little.  Angry

NAW!  Wink  Just kidding.  No one is going to hassle you.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 11:29:01 AM »

Look, we all must strive to be accurate with our QSL cards.  Take a pic. of Charleston.  Then get a satellite image of both Charleston and Ladson, with markers indicating the direction of your move and your current QTH!   
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »

My preference is to see something related to the op, a pix of your house and antenna; pix of a native plant; pix taken of your area taken while on your tower; pix of a sunset.

If you wind up DXing, the op or QSL manager probably will only look at the Q information.

For me, I enjoy get a QSL card with information about the op.  But, the card winds up in a box on a shelf.

Bob
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »

Well if you live in one town and send QSL's with photos of another area, then
be sure not to leave your DNA on the cards (the CSI guys will get you).

Most cards are glanced at and go into a box for safekeeping.  So unless your cards
have a photo of a young lady (not your wife) in a risgue pose you are probably safe.

Allen
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:18:47 PM »

My card is a picture of something that's close to 200 miles away from here. But it's something that has meaning to me, it's a neat picture, and it's not something that shows up on QSL cards all the time Tongue

Wouldn't worry about it...
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 08:29:55 PM »

My QSL card features a picture of Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge, the first NWR in the nation. I'm actually about 9 miles and two towns north of it, but it's still an area landmark and lets me show a bit of my area to the world. Honestly, in the greater scheme of things, 10 miles is still plenty "local"!
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:44:02 AM »

Well, I appreciate the responses. Since several people responded and no one called me a LID for even suggesting such a thing (yet), I think I'm just going to go for it.

"..in an abundance of counselors there is safety."

Thanks all!

Chris
AK4KZ
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »

Mine has a photo of the Orion Nebula.  I live very far from the Orion Nebula.  Wink
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »

Well there you go Chris--put a pix of a (can) lid on your QSL card!  HI hi
Bob
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: