Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gift recommendations for a new young ham  (Read 3761 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »

10M DX doesn't discriminate against age, and his license class has pretty good privileges there. He can work on a DXCC while studying and saving up for a multiband rig.
   That's true.  Plus when he gets his General ticket, he could easily sell his HTX-100 for almost what it was purchased for, and use the proceeds to purchase a HF rig!  There are thousands of HTX-100s still floating around and in daily use, years after they were originally sold by the Shack.
N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 05:06:56 PM »

Hello Dave...I would suggest an HT to start.  That will keep him on the edge. Invite him to operate more at your shack.  Show him other modes.  If you cannot share the other modes, get another ham friend involved.  He is 13, and I would suspect he would like PSK31, and the other digital modes to include CW.  Maybe you or another local ham would have a loaner rig he could use to get his feet wet.  This will show you just how interested he is in the hobby.  If so, let him use the rig.  Maybe he can shovel snow, cut grass, and save a little cash to help purchase his first rig.  Maybe a local ham has an oldie to sell him.   Take him to ham club meeting. Introduce him to other hams.  All of these things are important to keep these young guys interested.  Bunky has some good suggestions.  The Ht along with the books to help him upgrade, and learn with to include a kit or soldering tools.  All too many times new hams are brought in, and then dropped.  No one picked them up to keep them interested, and share their experience with them.  Now is the chance to at least keep one!

Good Luck!  73..de N3JJT..Scott
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »

Man, these answers have been helpful. And the last response did remind me that he did specifically say he is interested in psk31. I can run that mode here, but I rarely do so. We could do that together in my shack. If anyone else has ideas, please chime in. I need to advise mom in the next day or two. I am willing to Elmer him, to the extent I am able.

Side question. If we are in my shack, and I am sitting there in control, he can use my call and my privileges, right? And if he is in my shack, using Technician privileges, he can use HIS call, right? That opens up worlds of educational opportunities. I have a Flex 5K and a Pro 2 in line, with an all band doublet fed with ladderline. No VHF antennas are up yet, but the Flex has the VHF capabilities. I just haven't used that feature much.

Dave
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 07:41:01 AM »

Dave,

You have it correct.  If he is in your shack and you are there as control operator he can use any mode, any band, any authorized power level using your call and priveleges.  Just be careful with some DX because it may be third party traffic, which may or may not be allowed under the rules to some parts of the world.  If he is in your shack and you're not there, he is free to use his own call and work anywhere within his Technician Class priveleges.  So before you give him free reign when you're not there, be sure he knows where he can go.  And then turn him loose.  Hope he stays excited and does well.

Don, K2DC
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »

If he is in your shack and you are there as control operator he can use any mode, any band, any authorized power level using your call and priveleges.  Just be careful with some DX because it may be third party traffic, which may or may not be allowed under the rules to some parts of the world.  If he is in your shack and you're not there, he is free to use his own call and work anywhere within his Technician Class priveleges.  So before you give him free reign when you're not there, be sure he knows where he can go.  And then turn him loose.  Hope he stays excited and does well.

Good warning about the third party limitations. If he is not the control operator, anything he says or that you repeat on the air is considered third party traffic, even something as innocuous as "My young friend Bill is here and he says hi." (Saying that your friend Bill is watching is NOT 3rd party, though.) Check ARRL's page on countries with which the US has third-party agreements.

One other note: If you are in the shack with him but he's within his own (Tech) operating privileges, you can choose to not be the control op and let him use his own call. That's probably a good training opportunity for if you ever want to let him operate when you are NOT there.

Steve
W3HF
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »

If he is interested in psk31 you probably can get him into some of the more cutting edge protocols like JT65A around 28.076. There are some really cool software applications that he could run on his computer for doing weak signal work like SpecJT.

It would be sad if he only stuck to 2 m and 70 cm through a repeater.

Even and old FT-100d would get him up on the air and when he is ready for general class.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 10:10:09 AM »

I suggest an old HF rig.  It'll have 10 meters, so he can get on the air, plus he can listen to the other bands.  Help him put up a 10m dipole and maybe a 40/15m dipole as well for when he upgrades.  Give him a straight key.  This worked for me -- was a great incentive to upgrade.

Around here, VHF/UHF is generally a snoozefest.  HTs are nice to have, but give him something more than he can use and he'll be more likely to upgrade.  Plus, it's more fun to hear CW, digital modes, phone from far off places...

I started with a Heathkit SB-102.  Probably can find something similar + build dipoles for under $300.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 10:27:51 AM »

Consider contacting the VE team that gave the test to him.
This is from the ARRL site:
ARRL Affiliated Club
Ohio Valley ARA
City:
Cincinnati, OH
Call Sign:
W4FU
Specialties:
DX
Services Offered:
Club Newsletter
Section:
OH

Either one of those groups might have access to a reliable HF rig in the $300 or less range.

Good job OM

Merry christmas
Bob
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »

To hell with the budget. Give him a Christmas he'll never forget.

Buy him a IC-7800. He will never stop talking about it.

Give the bill to Obama and tell him it is part of the stimulus program.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: