Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Under utilized morse code programs for unlicensed amateur radio students.  (Read 80556 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 05:18:41 AM »

I still believe the best program for future young student hams learning morse code is to get the local scout leader to re introduce the old merit badge that required knowing morse code and signal flag. It worked out very well for many of us.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 07:30:56 AM »

I second that!  My Assistant Scoutmaster, back in the mid-1950s was a retired Navy Master Chief Quartermaster:  flashing light, flaghoist, and semaphore, PLUS CW.  My original troop (#88, Las Vegas NV) could have taken over a watch section on a Navy ship and run the entire system on the unclassified side.

This guy, Master Chief Howard, was my Elmer.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KB9CFH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 11:37:53 PM »

CwCom (CW Communicator) by MRX software is a program that lets a user send morse code from computer to computer. Would be useful for unlicensed students to practice on, and also for classes and situations that don't allow radios and antennas . It also has NEWS-BOTS and word practice for training. You can make random contacts around the world with this program.

Super Aldis 3 is a training program that works like the flashlights with the code button. The program doesn't have much in the way of a help file but you can import text files and if you have some patience, it does work from computer to computer if you have IP address.(static address)
 If you are going to be on a sailboat or a ship and need communications other than a radio this is a good program to practice with.

Morse Cat 2 is a training program that can generate its own lessons or will import text files. Good for learning sets and then working into random sending and words. If you break the 1000 most used words in the English language into smaller chunks you can generate random word practice. Good beginning training and good random training along with crypto style practice.   BEGINNERS TO ADVANCED

Winmorse 2 is a program that takes text files and converts them into morse code audio files. Good for taking short conversations and turning them into sound.
It generates audio wave files that can be converted into MP3 files and used with MP3 players for practice.  You can take a text file from the older code test generators and turn it into audio files. It can also be used with a DRABBLE generator to create files. If you keep the text short you can create a play list of practice files and use the shuffle option of the MP3 player to listen to just like your music.

Over the air practice is still the best, BUT, if you're stuck and can't get an antenna up  or a radio someplace these might help keep your ear in tune.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: