Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable CW tutor options  (Read 429 times)
AB8TR

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2005, 09:43:23 PM »

Hello everyone; Years ago I learned enough code to just make it thru the 13 wpm test and promptly forgot ot all.
    I recently have been getting back into the hobby and upgraded to Extra. Now Im ready to learn code, I now have a "desire" to learn it anyway ;-)

To the subject, Im looking for a portable code player/tutor and was wondering if the MFJ 418 model is the better or only option??  We have some occasions where I work that are good oportunities to listen to some code so Im looking to make the best of my free time. Ive started using the G4FON program at home and am really enjoying it. The darn computers at work are not "sound" equiped so I need to bring my own sound.

Thanks and 73

Adam AB8TR
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 04:13:20 PM »

Adam :

I have one of the MFJ Morse Code tutors and they work very well. I sometimes use it in the car and there is sufficient audio to use it in the car with just the built-in speaker. What I like about the tutor is that you can change the tone and the speed of the code being sent in any of the modes very easily. You can also choose to have it send groups of letters, random words and random QSOs with either continuous play or with a pause in between letters, words or QSOs.
The QSO format is canned (ie RST, Name, QTH, Rig, Ant , WX 73) but the content of the qsos generated is actually pretty good and quite random.

One other option that I investigated without much success was to download and play the MP3 format W1AW code practice files on a small cheap MP3 player.  I picked up a 32 mb one on ebay very cheaply but the code comes out sounding strange with a whooping sound interspersed ... possibly something to do with the sampling when it was converted into MP3. I have had no problem downloading these files from the ARRL web and playing them on my computer however.

Also Chuck K7QO has a CW course and some higher speed MP3 format practice that can be downloaded from  his website at http://www.k7qo.net/ for free.

Michael VE3WMB
AB8TR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 09:30:22 PM »

Thanks Michael; I have one of the MFJ's coming and Im looking forward to trying it out. Ive been doing a lot of reading here on this forum and many of the other web sites so I can avoid any possible wrong moves.

Adam
KB6NU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 04:35:24 PM »

If you have a Palm computer, you might try SmartMorse (http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&prodid=49347). It's free!  Several of the guys in my General Class license course have the program and are using it.

73!

Dan KB6NU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: