Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No dealers prices on top transceivers?  (Read 3402 times)
AC6IJ

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »

What could possibly be the reason that dealers don't put the prices on top of the line transceivers in magazines? How can they expect to sell something if they don't include the price? Almost sounds like the're getting kickbacks from the phone companys. Bill
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »

Probably because their ads are submitted sometimes months in advance.
And if they want to run a sale, they don't want their competition to have
a leg up on them. Of course, their competition can just call and find out
current prices as easy as anyone else. But, My guess is that is one of the
major reasons. And it gets you to call them and listen to a salesman.
It kind of bugs me too, but, I can see their point in a way.
james
WD5GWY
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »

When I want to by products, other than grocery items, I "google" the internet.

If you are going to buy a "top of the line" rig, the cost of calling different places to get the exact cost will be very low compared to rig's total cost.

Plus, when I had a land line I bought calling cards--out of state calls were below 4 cents a minute.

Bob
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »

I never thought about this; it's been many years since I paid anything for domestic telephone calls, no matter how many I make or to where.

I thought that was "standard land line service" nowadays.  Maybe not.

We just pay a flat rate per month and can call anywhere in the U.S. 24 hours a day without any charges.

I can fully appreciate why the dealers are reluctant to publish prices.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »

With a 3 month lead time on ads in QST it's hard to post prices since they change almost daily with sales, promotions, etc. Most places list them on the internet and are up to date. I know you have internet 'cause you're posting here...Start looking

Clif
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 02:28:47 PM »

The one I always thought was interesting was the XMatch antenna tuner - IIRC, you had to pay just to get info about it.

Sure, the couple bucks is a tiny fraction of the cost of the item, but I can test drive a $50k BMW for free Smiley
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »

I'm retired from the phone factory. I don't pay anything for long distance. So what's the deal?

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »

I'm retired from the phone factory. I don't pay anything for long distance. So what's the deal?

I don't either.  We just have Time Warner for cable, internet and telephone and all domestic calls are covered.  I thought "everyone" had something like this; maybe not.

I also subscribed to the "Asia" calling package so my XYL can call "home" to the Philippines; it's $9.95 a month extra, and she can call there as many times as she wants, including 24 hours a day which sometimes it seems is the case. Tongue
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »

No landline here, Verizon or whatever the current name is said they didn't have service to my address. I told them "Fine that means I can pull up the large distribution panel with Verizon written all over it in my front yard and get rid of the eyesore" You shoulda heard the squawking.

Cell phone only.

Back to the original topic. With a 3+ month lead time Icom will come out with a new radio and make obsolete the one in your ad.

Clif
AC6IJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »

Sounds like phones are cheap to use, Google tells you everything and who cares about new transceivers with no price list? Makes one wonder for sure. Ha! Ha! Looks to me that brand new rigs don't even have a price list at the company who makes them.
Google sure helps!! Bill Grin
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »

Oh, I'm sure they have an internal cost sheet, but that won't make their web site Cheesy

The Big 3 are exclusively sold through dealers (unless it's a gov't contract) - they're not about to post up prices of their own Smiley
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 07:14:43 AM »

Exchange rate changes, manufacturer/dealer promotions together with the competitive nature of the business make this impractical for a good number of rigs, not just the high end. Further, I suspect sales of a number of high end models such as the IC-7800 and FT-9000 have atrophied to the point that it makes little sense to include pricing in print ads.

Harry WE1X
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 12:31:39 PM »

Price doesn’t matter. You pay what you negotiate. I walked into HRO and ask for $300 off the current list price on a 7600. In addition there was a $300 ICOM coupon for any other ICOM product. I explained the product was going to be bought on price only and I wanted to keep the money local if all possible. We figured taxes versa shipping and came to a deal. You have to be willing to walk away if the deal doesn’t work for you and you better have your facts straight as to what other are selling the item for.

If the product is brand new and hot selling commodity you will end up paying full price. Six months later they might be willing to deal if demand has fallen off.

Also many distributers will greatly discount at Dayton on Saturday afternoon. If you can wait for special times of the year you can score some pretty impressive deals.
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »

All good answers to the OM's question.  It would be foolish to put a price in an ad that will not run for months.  If you did, it would be safest to make it list...which nobody pays.  That is, unless you typically pay sticker price on a new car!

Prices fluctuate wildly for the reasons cited.  But don't be one of those guys who waits and waits and waits, getting prices every day or so, trying to save a dollar or two.  You are only denying yourself the joy of operating the rig...and the price can go up as easily as it can go down.  Most good dealers will match a reasonable price from another legitimate dealer.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
http://n4kc.blogspot.com

W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »

Bill...another tip...don't forget the shipping and state taxes. Even when you get
the price...some dealers ship free and some charge tax for the state you live in or
the state they are doing business in.  And, like some have said already, many dealers
will match a better price.  I recently found a complete set of 1939 QST's and one of the things I have enjoyed is reading the ads for gear.  All the ads have prices listed and all were made in the USA!  Hope you enjoy your new rig.  73...Sam W8VVE
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: