Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange/fun homebrew antennas  (Read 3986 times)
W5IPA

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »

I am gathering a history of strange / fun homebrew  antennas, I am most interested in wartime setups but all stories are welcome. Please include name, call sign and current qth. W5IPA@arrl.net or Jason 6341 Megan circle Corpus Christi, 78414. Stories may be republished
K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »

Monitoring Times had an article a couple of month's back about unusual antennas.  Might want to check that out.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »

I am gathering a history of strange / fun homebrew  antennas, I am most interested in wartime setups but all stories are welcome. Please include name, call sign and current qth. W5IPA@arrl.net or Jason 6341 Megan circle Corpus Christi, 78414. Stories may be republished
   A friend of mine put up a "TV Dish" (plastic bowl) on his roof, because the landlord would only allow TV antennas.  The mast was the actual ham antenna!  Been up there over 10 years, and his landlord still hasn't got a clue.  Smiley    I'll ask him to send you the details.
W5IPA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »

Thanks that just what I'm looking for  Grin
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »

The plastic bowl antenna sounds like a hoot. Why not tell the clueless landlord that it is a tupperware bowl tv antenna  and every one in awail you have to go burp it ? sorry, couldn't  resit a joke .   actually , have seen lawn chairs tuned up , and have heard of bed springs also . didnn't soomebody drive some nails in a tree and actually used it for antenna on 2 meters?  kg4ymc Roll Eyes
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »

K0S sponsors an annual "Strange Antenna Challenge" event each year.  I entered several years back using a boat derrick mounted on a concrete seawall as an antenna.  I think one of the past entries was a Sherman tank.  Check it out for some weird stuff.
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »

On the net, someone claimed to have tuned a filing cabinet.  Cheesy
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

Anybody could use a double bazooka, but a Sherman tank ?.Homeowners association would love that ham  I bet. Trimming the antenna must have been fun. Lock and load ? Grin
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:41 AM »

I also heard about participation in the 'Strange Antenna Challenge' about a ham who tried tuning up two old twin bedsprings hung as a dipole.  He got some responces through it, but the funniest thing was the town cop who pulled into his yard and asked him what he was doing.  (He think a neighbor called into the police station.)  When told the bedsprings were for a ham radio contest, he just commented that "you people are so strange" and left!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:39:12 AM by K1CJS » Logged
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:03:29 AM »

Actually tuning a Sherman tank is pretty easy.  The tank in question was in a public park. I understand that it was tuned by means of a tank circuit.   Roll Eyes
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 07:43:14 AM »

--Groan!--   Grin
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »

Actually tuning a Sherman tank is pretty easy.  The tank in question was in a public park. I understand that it was tuned by means of a tank circuit.   Roll Eyes
   LOL!  Just hope that some Kilroy didn't leave any old live ammo in there.  Talk about "getting out"!  Smiley
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »

I was looking at a UK antenna book, and it had an Christmas tree looking antenna for HF?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »

I was looking at a UK antenna book, and it had an Christmas tree looking antenna for HF?
    I did hear of a pine tree antenna!  Not sure if it's the same thing, but a ham was talking about how he bought an artificial Christmas tree and ran a wire through the middle, then kept it outside his home and fooled the HOA Gestapo!  Being that the tree was made out of plastic, it lasted quite a long time in his yard even though it was exposed to the elements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: