Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIREFOX -- GONE BATTY?  (Read 8232 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »

Last month, I updated & installed the latest version of FireFox, 8.0.1, through the "FireFox" website.  My problem is that the first FireFox screen keeps showing that I'm not on their latest version. 

Today, I again downloaded and installed their latest update.  You guessed it, 8.0.1 again!  Rebooted the system.  And it still shows that I'm not on the latest version.

What's up?

Anybody else out there having similar problems?

N9LCD

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:09:10 PM »

What OS?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:31:24 PM »

Try uninstalling FireFox and rebooting and then installing 8.01 for full download. Never seen this before though.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »

KG4RUL:

Thanks!

I'm running Windows XP (home) on a HP pavilion desktop computer.  All Windows updates are current through 16 December 2011.

N9LCD

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 04:15:24 AM »

You're not having a problem.

Firefox now updates automatically in the background so frequently that it no longer displays new version numbers after updates.

See:
http://www.webmonkey.com/2011/08/firefox-the-emperor-wears-no-versions/
And many similar articles about the ensuing uproar.

The "About Firefox" information box now displays only version 8 -- that "you are on the release channel" and that "Firefox is up to date".

Mel - KS2G

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:18:23 AM »

Firefox now updates automatically in the background so frequently that it no longer displays new version numbers after updates.

This is not exactly true for two reasons. One is even in background it will tell you after fact and two there is a bug in 8.0. It will not auto update as it is supposed to.  8.01 will. I had to manually update 4 machines I have from 8.0 to 8.01. (down load full install)

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:07:21 AM »

I love FF and have been using it for quite a few years now. Both in XP and Windows 7 32 bit versions. Since I run Windows 7 in 64 bit I decided to try the FF Nightly Builds in 64 bit. It ROCKS! If any of you run Windows 7 in 64 bit, try it. Its so much faster and better than the 32 bit version I will never go back. I use many FF "extensions" to enhance functionality and so far I have yet to find one that is buggy or wont work. I had issues with some of the 32 bit versions because the browser would update faster than the programmers could create add on's for it. That seems to be a thing of the past as of now. Unfortunately, those of you still using XP don't have this option but you owe it to yourself to update your machines and try it. Its like a Ferrari on steroids in comparison to the old 32 bit platform versions. Simply Google Firefox Nightly Builds and there it is.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »

"Firefox now updates automatically in the background so frequently..."

Are you sure about that? I'm running version 3.5.4 here, probably the same version I downloaded when I first switched to Firefox at least three years ago. BTW, I never get a nag screen telling me to update it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »

"Firefox now updates automatically in the background so frequently..."

Are you sure about that? I'm running version 3.5.4 here, probably the same version I downloaded when I first switched to Firefox at least three years ago. BTW, I never get a nag screen telling me to update it.

And you never will either in a 3 series browser. You need to go to "getfirefox.com" and get latest version. Yo are well behind the curve here.  On 64 bit, I have been using MineField (now nightly) for about 2 years now. It will work with any 64 bit Windows OS (using it to make this post). My main machine is quad core 64 bit Vista and I still prefer it to Win7. Not quirky at all.

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »

If i want to remove FireFox and do a full reinstall, where and how do I find all of my bookmarks to save them?  I got about five years worth and I'd hate to lose them?

Thanks

N9LCD

Huh
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »

check out link below

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Backing%20up%20and%20restoring%20bookmarks?s=backup+bookmarks&r=0&as=s

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 08:46:56 PM »

This is not exactly true for two reasons. One is even in background it will tell you after fact and two there is a bug in 8.0. It will not auto update as it is supposed to.  8.01 will. I had to manually update 4 machines I have from 8.0 to 8.01. (down load full install)

It's been working just fine, providing periodic updates, for me.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »

Thanks to everybody, especially W8JX.  I uninstalled, downloaded and did a complete installation of FireFox 9.  And I was able to save my bookmarks.

I've already notice an increase in speed with FireFox 9.  Seems that it doesn't use as much memory as 8.0.1 did especially after all the updates.

73!

N9LCD

Cheesy
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »

I am now up to FireFox 12.x beta in 64 bit

N1BNC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »

I finally got fed up with FF and morning coffee. There are scripts that cause the world to come to halt. It's not worth the functionality anymore. Now I am on Chrome... It wasn't worth the headaches trouble shooting since its a browser and not a boat anchor.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: