Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817, z817H, HL-45b, Commander  (Read 2843 times)
WA9JDR

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:36:13 AM »

I have the above setup and just added the amplifier. As far as I can figure out,
without the amplifier it works great. I can plug the computer into the jack on
the 817h. But when I use the amp, and the cable out of the FT817 goes directly
to the amp, HL-45B, there is no communication between the tuner and the FT817
except power output.

Hopefully, I've explained this adequately.

Anyone have a solution so that I can keep the amp online and use Commander?

Bob, WA9JDR

KG6IRW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »

Had a similar setup some years back with the FT817 and the HL-45B - it was a nice combination and I did quite a bit of PSK31 with it.   I'd started with the FT-817 when I got my Tech ticket then upgraded to the HL-45B when I got my General.

The problems came with using computer control software and the auto-bandswitching feature of the HL45.   The amp does not pass through the 3 connections needed for computer control to another port.  I ended up wiring up a Y cable to allow both to work.

Now, add to your mix the tuner.  I dealt with an LDG tuner, too, the remote control version - don't remember the model.  The thing, here, is that LDG's devices for this Yaesu product line (the 817/857/897 series) pass through the 3 connections to another port.  This allows you to use computer controls along with the tuner controls for band switching.  Essentially, the Y cable I had to make up is implemented in the tuner's box.  BTW, LDG actually doesn't just route the wires around inside.  Rather, they emulate the computer control port in their own microprocessor and then pass the signals back to the FT817.  This is why their computer control port will work at only 38K baud with the computer's RS232 port.

What I'd suggest you do is to plan on doing manual band switching on the HL-45B.  Yes, it isn't fully automated but the rest of the connections should work ok.  I'd also suggest you not drive the little HL-45B as you're approaching the limits of the tuner.  Perhaps it is time to consider another alternative for tuners.  I've been getting excellent results by running an SGC coupler out at the base of my antenna in the yard.  This really simplifies tuning, allows for pretty quick band switching and also cuts down on transmission line losses with those bands that are higher in SWR.  BTW, I use a long-wire right now in an inverted L but will switch to a 40M loop next spring - all using the SGC coupler.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: