Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Observation  (Read 5375 times)
W7AIT

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:03:19 AM »

CW observation old timer:  1964, wall to wall CW stations on 80, 40 cw after dinner.  Today 2011 ONE or TWO CW stations (or maybe NONE!)  on 80, 40 CW after dinner.

Dropping CW requirement made a huge change in CW, as in lots of dead, quiet air on 80, 40 and no one to talk to after dinner.

Now I just go read a book instead.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »

...Today 2011 ONE or TWO CW stations (or maybe NONE!)  on 80, 40 CW ....

You may want to check your antenna input -- that is what I hear when my dummy load is on line..... 

73 de KEN   Grin
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:04:44 AM »

If you eat dinner at 1:00 AM local, I could see this as a problem. Wink

I'm on 40CW many evenings a week, around 6 to 8 o'clock local (0200 to 0400 UTC) and the band's crowded.  So crowded I've often gone up above 7100 (a lot of "slow coders" are there) and opted for a QRS QSO or two, because down lower is pretty full.

A bit earlier when W1AW is sending their code practice on 7047.5 I use their signal to judge condx and when they're very strong, obviously there's a good path back in that direction.  That's the case most of the time.  I notice QSOs within 1 kHz of W1AW all the time; either guys using narrow filters and oblivious to W1AW or possibly people really trying to jam them for some reason.

But it's pretty crowded.
K1BXI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »

Must be a West coast thing.........here in the North East this noon (12:30 EST) on 40 meters I hear 8 cw qso's plus 2 dx stations down on the low end. Granted 80 meters is quiet at the moment, but so is 75 ssb. After dinner (6:00 PM, we eat earlier here in New England than many city folks!) there are many signals on 40 cw. State side and DX.

It's been my observation that the dropping the cw requirement has brought in new and younger hams that have found cw is fun after all.

My cw days started in 1957 with an ARC5-T22 on 40 meters with an S40B. With that receiver it didn't take many stations to make the band sound "wall to wall" with signals.  

John
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »

My complete understanding, OM.  Likewise 'long-term' lover of The Music Mode. *MY* operational need is roughly 1700 to 1900 GMT, most days. DEAD, climb-the-wall, time period. I've set my keyer on automatic CQ for half hours at a time, 17 meters...some 20, 'try' on 30. Nobody breaks my QSK. It seems to be "DX" ... with typical DX exchanges, or nothing.  I don't stay up late enough anymore for the Nite Bands, so I can't comment that time period.   With 10 and 12 opening up here in N/W  Seven-Land, I finally 'made a deal with The Devil', dug around in the attic for my hand-mike for my old Ten-Tec, and I *DO* find...and enjoy... about 50-50 good A3J QSO's on 10, above 28.5 Mc, and 12, most of the time, . Sacrilege, I know... but for ME it was either that or tear the rig down.

Tuff times for some of us, I guess............

VY 73,

dm
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »

Would you like some cheese with your whine?
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »

CW observation old timer:  1964, wall to wall CW stations on 80, 40 cw after dinner.  Today 2011 ONE or TWO CW stations (or maybe NONE!)  on 80, 40 CW after dinner.
Dropping CW requirement made a huge change in CW, as in lots of dead, quiet air on 80, 40 and no one to talk to after dinner.
Now I just go read a book instead.
Definitely something wrong with your radio. Check and compare: http://96.234.76.29:8901/
AI0F

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »

I feel the pain of the two things that are tearing the world apart...money and politics!! Watering down of the exams to the point you could teach your pet to pass them was not and is not the answer. But, as it usually is, the corporate structure does whatever is easiest to  maintain! With the ham population dwindling rapidly and one huge source of revenue for the ARRL being ads in their magazine, they couldn't figure any other way to increase the population other than making it easier.....trust me, never take the quanity over quality option!! As many, many of us did in those early years, we started our radio hobby in the dreaded cb craze...I credit cb's as the reason I became a ham...TOO GET AWAY FROM THAT INSANITY!!! However, what originally began to creep into 6 meters, it is now running rapant all over the place...yes, the 10-4's and what's yer 20 are heard way too often! Another reason I will always have a special place for cw, many do not want to put in the effort to learn....it's like what, I have to study and learn something...don't want to have to do that!!! So, yes...the amount of cw you hear has dropped, being pushed out by more and more digital modes...as far as I'm concerned, cw is and always will be the best of the best digital modes
:-) Hang in there, work it while you can...they will eventually push it out all together!!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »

Gotta call CQ. That brings 'em outta the wood work.
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 05:15:32 PM »

N4OI, WB2WIK, K1BXI, N5XM, K0TF, you guys just don't get it or have big antenna systems.  KF0K, N7DM you completely understand and have actually experienced what I have seen over the years.  K1BXI I said dinner hour not noon.

My radios (all 5 of them over a 20 year period) and antennas are  just fine thank you.  The same gear and antennas, as was the time period were used for the observation.

CW has dropped WAY OFF out here in CA.  Same with SSB phone.  In 1965 you couldn't get your big toe on 40SSB after dinner on the west coast, everybody was on with their new SWAN’S.  Now, only a few guys on.

To the “WHINER GUY” I could have laid that The sky is falling  - use it or lose it garbage but all I made was a **factual observation**.    Come listen, “them’s the facts ma'am as Joe Friday says.

CW interest / activity has definitely waned a huge amount out here  on the west coast over the last 47 years. 

Less QRM for me…

Actually it picks up around 3AM local as the DX guys get on and I have them all to myself.

Frankly, dropping the CW requirement did drop a lot of new ops from getting on CW.  Back in the 60’s you HAD to learn CW or else.
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »

I wish I could get on the radio everynight after dinner, but I have two jobs and don't even get dinner some nights.  Nevertheless Sunday nights my key is hopping up and down with one of three rigs my HW-8, a TEN-TEC 525, or a Swan 500C.   I have only had my ticket for the last four years and I work about 95% code, as do a few other guys in my area who got their ticket in the last few years.  We are even getting some of the old-timers to dig out their keys and get back on HF code.  Don't give up on the new guys yet!
73 es hpe to CUL
KE7WAV
K1BXI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »

"K1BXI I said dinner hour not noon."

I just said noon because it was the time of day when 40 meter signals are the weakest and I still heard 8 qso's. which meant at least 16 op's active at that moment.    

Then to answer your statement of not hearing much after dinner I said...... "After dinner (6:00 PM, we eat earlier here in New England than many city folks!) there are many signals on 40 cw. State side and DX."  I'm sure I get it, and my big antenna system is a G5RV at 40 ft.

I realize that since the expansion of the phone band down to 7125 kHz along with the newer data signals, that the cw op's have been squeezed to a much smaller segment of the band. It takes fewer signals to make it crowded I guess.

I'm sure your observation is accurate for your location, but evidently there is more 40 meter cw activity here on the East coast than out your way. However Steve, WB2WIK. out there in LA seems to hear a lot of activity.

John

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:35:58 PM by K1BXI » Logged
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 08:38:09 PM »

N4OI ... you guys ... have big antenna systems....quote]

LOL!  My antenna system is an indoor dipole in the attic!  The other day, I was even able to dust off the RockMite and grab a very solid rockbound QSO using a half watt on 40 meters.  Most evenings I feel a little bad because I have to slide in between all the other QSOs to make room -- if their filters are not as sharp as mine, I may be causing a little QRM....   Cry

I am so confused.....  CW seems to be alive and well here in the Carolinas -- Perhaps the Green Bank Observatory (WVA) dishes are deflecting the signals down to me here.... or else those boxes in the attic are arranged just right -- go figure!

73 ES MERRY XMAS TO U ES URS DE KEN N4OI   Grin
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 09:17:08 PM »

...CW has dropped WAY OFF out here in CA.  Same with SSB phone.  In 1965 you couldn't get your big toe on 40SSB after dinner on the west coast, everybody was on with their new SWAN’S.  Now, only a few guys on....
...CW interest / activity has definitely waned a huge amount out here  on the west coast over the last 47 years...
...Frankly, dropping the CW requirement did drop a lot of new ops from getting on CW.  Back in the 60’s you HAD to learn CW or else...
I would definitely check the radio you have, or just get a different one, out there 5 more different bands than you had in '64, and at least dozen new modes, just in case you've missed that part. As for the rest of your comment, well you'll be right in place in Russia right now, where they have a big discussion about Morse code requirements, and CW-nazis use exactly the same arguments, just in a different language. Get over it, life goes on. I'm using aluminum gutter pipe for my antenna since anything else will lead to my extermination. Get a hint, you have Japan with a million or so hams one jump away. "Novus Ordo Seclorum"-G.H.W.Bush
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:19:11 PM by K0TF » Logged
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »

From Portland, OR, 40m CW can be great in the evening, but things kinda go to bed around 9pm unless the band is cooking.....must be the east coast guys going to bed. You are right about Asia and Pacific waking up on 40m in the wee hours with little competition, but in some ways i would rather get my DX fix after dinner. Last night, about 8:30pm pst/4:30utc, myself and quite a few statside cw ops were chasing a czech op who moved around after each qso, but that faded by 9:30pm

Don
KF7QZB
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: