Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iambic keys  (Read 366 times)
K2CBM

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:58:30 AM »

I have always used a single lever Vibroplex key with my keyer but I am thinking of buying a Bencher Iambic. My question is, how different is the iambic key from what I am used to? Why change? It is difficult to keep the single lever key adjusted. and I guess, I would just like to try something new. How easy would it be to make the change?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 12:12:04 PM »

The change is transparent if your keyer isn't iambic.  Close your eyes and you won't know if your paddle had one lever or two.  Just don't use the "squeeze" mode.

However, if you do decide to adapt to iambic keying, it is actually easier and will save you some hand/finger wear.  Fool around with it off the air until you're comfortable, then let it rip.

The Bencher holds its adjustments well provided you're not using it like a gorilla!  I use the paddles spaced closely and set for very little travel, and very little tension, and thus never "hit" the paddles with anything more than a few ounces of force, and my three Benchers have held their adjustment for several years.  But heavier use will require more adjustment.  Some of the really high-end magnetic mechanism keys are more foolproof in this regard.  I borrowed a Begali Signature paddle and my impression was that it wouldn't matter if I used it with a gram of pressure or several pounds, or any combination thereof, it would hold its adjustment just fine.  But it's a $300+ paddle!

Steve WB2WIK/6
K2CBM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 12:25:31 PM »

Thanks Steve. I guess that is what I wanted to hear. Certainly I will experiment with the squeeze function--off the air of course. Thanks for replying.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 08:01:26 PM »

I had to 'tailor' my Bencher a little, since I was coming from a couple decades of slapping a Bug around. I needed a little more spring tension at first. Got that by shoving a wooden matchstick down the BACK side of the spring post.  I understand we are all different, but by the time you can send Iambically without thinking about it.....you have totally LOST your 'other' fist. *I* couldn't run any of my Bugs now, to save my neck!
N6PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 05:19:38 PM »

If you do decide on a twin paddle, take a peek at the Kent TP-1.  For a little money more than the Bencher, you'll get a real solid key, with precision adjustment that won't move on you.  They are made in England and sold here in the U.S. by HRO. Price is about $145.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: