Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i send /ag  (Read 441 times)
KG6DAO

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2005, 08:27:36 AM »

hello everyone, i passed my code test today(but have not taken the written test yet). when i transmit on the novice portion of the hf spectrum do i sign /ag until i get my new call?

thanks for the help

kg6dao
collin
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 10:59:27 AM »

Since you are already a technician, passing the code test does indeed let you immediately use the Novice portions of the HF bands.  No additional identifier is required.  It would actually be incorrect to use /AG since you said that you have not passed the written.

/AG is used only when you meet ALL the following conditions.
1.  You have passed all requirements (code and written) for a General class license.
2.  Your new class is not yet showing in the FCC database.
3.  You are operating outside the Novice/Tech segments (already available to you under your current license).
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 05:40:25 AM »

Also unless you requested a call sign change, you will not receive a new call.

When you do pass your general, there's no point in requesting a new sequential call as only 2x3 ones are available.  If you want a shorter call sign, you will have to go the vanity call route.  Both Technicians and Generals are eligible for 1x3 calls.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 12:27:45 PM »

It is not exactly 'on topic', but I'd like to comment that in the Ole Days, when a guy was 'not at home', he was required to send  '/ (something)' after this call. As in, if I was in Austin, Texas, I'd send  N7DM/5.  The Law has changed now, and it is common to hear calls...out of area. [a K3 permanently lives here]  I think it is a GREAT idea to sign 'portable' for CQ's and initial replies, so the OTHER guy can point his quad in the right direction!  I recently lost a QSO with a  W2 in California [heard him again, later], 'cuz I turned MY quad to the New York Direction!  

Just a tip that I hope will be useful to somebody...
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 05:17:36 AM »

I agree with using the /x  when you are away from your home area but it is often nearly useless in terms of pointing your antenna.

Let me give an example, if I live in Illinois and hear a "0" call, just where do I point my antenna?  There's a huge difference in pointing it at Minnesota, Iowa, or Missouri.  Or if I hear a 7.  Is that northern Washington or sourthern Nevada?

It only helps if the target region is geographically small.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: