Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omni VII using the Navigator and HRD  (Read 2406 times)
N4MSG

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:41:12 AM »

Undecided Santa was good to me and delivered a new Omni VII and the headaches to go with it. After getting familial with the basic functions of the radio, I built the Navigator interface cable for the Omni which uses the serial port. Now how would I connect the Omni so I have computer interface to use HRD and DM 780. Any recommendations on how to accomplish this task. Still in the learning phase with all the functions of the radio and how to interface it.

Happy New YEAR TO All!

N4MSG
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »

Well after finding the manual on Ten-Tec's web site, it appears that you have to use the D-sub 9 connector for running HRD to get band info, freq info but to control PPT and audio in/ out you have to use the ACC 1 jack.  The Rig Blaster Plus II will work w/ your radio as will others such as the Signal link USB.  It seems the PnP model from Rig Blaster will not work with the Omni VII. 

From West Mountains web site:
Computer Interface
 •Supplied with Plug and Play USB cable interface and built-in USB to serial converter
 •USB provides positive PTT, CW/FSK keying and CAT/CI-V rig control
 •Microsoft® certified USB drivers are automatically installed from West Mountain Radio website
 •Powered through USB cable, no wall supply needed

Built-in Rig Control
 •CAT/CI-V rig control TTL interface built in
 •Tested with Icom and Yaesu; compatible with Ten Tec
 •Custom CAT/CI-V cables available as accessories
Hope this helps and hope to see you on the water fall soon
73, GL, es Gud DX de wn2c  Rick
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »

I believe you can interface your Omni VII without an external "aftermarket" interface.

See this Ten-Tec video http://youtu.be/peRfTeeT1yo. Even though the video is aimed at rtty users, you should be able to apply the connection part with any digital mode.

Three things to remember, though RTTY uses LSB many other digital modes do not. Also, you will need to use a method to key the radio. If "hardware keying" is not employed, the VOX may work for you. Lastly, you will need to set your Audio Source in the Omni VII's menu to "Line" or "Both". I would not recommend "Both" if you use the VOX.

I personally have not tried this, I may have to get my Omni VII's box down and look for the cable as I've always used an external interface.

David, N1ZHE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: