Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Workbench stools  (Read 4294 times)
KD4EBL

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:42:46 AM »

I am starting to spend more time at my workbench, and am looking at purchasing (new or used) a good stool to sit on as I solder, or recondition some old radios and antennas. I believe that I want a swivel seat, a tall stool, with perhaps a small back, but I am open to any suggestions from other about what they use or help defining my requirements.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »

Hello, A bar stool available at most discount stores will meet your requirements. I use a stool bought at Office Max that not only swivels but has a height adjustment, and an adjustable position back. It is fully upholstered both the back and the seat. It is made of metal and is very sturdy. An industrial type is available at most industrial supply stores. Google what you are looking for there are hundreds of styles and types available.

Hope this helps

73s

K2OWK
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »

I prefer a bar or kitchen counter stool that swivels, is padded, has a back and puts me higher than the workbench.  (You want to be looking DOWN on whatever you're working on - NOT eye level)

Don't pass up your local Goodwill store or other used furniture/junque stores.  Quite often you can find something very suitable for a very good price.  If you can, get two.  Quite often I have someone else in the shop with me and it's good they have something to set on. 

This is better than having them wandering around the shop fingering things!

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »

I have a seat of the type used by supermarket check out people. Has a back, adjustable height, swivels. Excellent. But there may well be plenty of suitable ones around in second hand office equipment places, and these days, there seem to be lots of offices closing.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »

The wife found a swivel stool, with back, armrests, and foot ring, on Amazon, and she loves it. She had our kitchen counter top made 36" tall, and this seat is adjustable so that the armrests can just slip underneath the counter top. The five-wheel base works well on our tile floor, and on carpet, and she's yet to complain about it.

Unfortunately, it's a no-name brand made in Taiwan, and its limit is 250#, but it is a really nice stool.

When searching, use the term "lab stool" or "architect's stool," and you should find it. Again, the wife loves it.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »

Make it yourself to your own specs!  A saw, a few 4X4s and some plywood, and you are good to go!  If it doesn't work out, you could mount it on your roof with some cord and pulleys, and you've a great mount for your rotatable dipole, or VHF/UHF beam! Smiley
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:28:03 AM »

2 X 4s and plywood?  If you feel that this might be kind of light, check your local building supply for railroad cross ties with a preformed concrete slab for the top.   Now that combination will hold some a.. !
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »

Make it yourself to your own specs!  A saw, a few 4X4s and some plywood, and you are good to go!  If it doesn't work out, you could mount it on your roof with some cord and pulleys, and you've a great mount for your rotatable dipole, or VHF/UHF beam! Smiley

THAT'S going to be expensive.  "...a few 4X4s...".  What's the cost of round trip air fare from Israel to the U.S.?  Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »

When I built my workbench I sort of incorporated/added it as an extension to the radio desk I built. Everything is on the same level. I can just roll my comfy shack chair over and start soldering. Everything is built out of plywood and 2X4's which seem to be plenty strong for anything I need to place on it.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »

2 X 4s and plywood?  If you feel that this might be kind of light, check your local building supply for railroad cross ties with a preformed concrete slab for the top.   Now that combination will hold some a.. !
  LOL!  Good point, considering how much weight some hams may gain by combining snacks with hours of contesting!  Smiley
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »

Check this one out: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EJI01M

It's the one my wife uses all the time. Made in Taiwan, but is sturdy, cool and comfortable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: