Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting a IC-7000 in a Toyota FJ Cruiser  (Read 5981 times)
KG6OJO

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »

Hi Everyone:

I searched at least 60 pages of topics and didn't see anything similar so I thought I would just ask.  Are there any Hams out there who have installed a IC-7000 in a Toyota FJ Cruiser who could offer advice or input on where they installed the rig and how it went.  Success stories, and disasters welcome.  Any other advice on installing this radio into a FJ cruiser is welcome as well. 

My initial thoughts are to place the rig in one of the aft quarter panel storage lockers, but air flow may be restricted there.  I might also mount it on the side of the console, on the passenger side, since I usually drive alone.  This would provide plenty of air flow, and make running the battery, separation cable, and audio cables easier, but I also have a Little Tarheel II to mount, plus an aftermarket controller, so that the controller for the antenna might take up a lot of space there.  I have a heavy duty Breedlove mount for the Little Tarheel II to go on the roof, but I also have a UHF/VHF antenna to mount, and am concerned about where to mount it if the HF antenna is on the roof top.  Any thoughts here are welcome.  Any other bonding, ground strapping, things to take care of on this vehicle as well? 
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:57:27 AM »

I'm in a similar situation with a 4Runner.  I'd like to put an NMO mount through the roof but not sure how to accomplish it with this vehicle.  I don't like the Diamond K400 mounts because, to me, they just aren't strong enough.  I used one once before and it kept moving.  Diamond could improve this mount by adding a second set screw that would be tightened down once you found the angle you were looking for.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:53:33 AM »

Go to my web site, and look in the Photo Gallery, Other Installs album. There is at least one CJ shown.

I certainly wouldn't worry about both the VHF and HF antennas being at roof top.

KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 07:19:04 AM »

Since the majority of the interior is plastic, you can pretty much bolt it down anywhere it won't get wet or hit by your luggage or gear.
KG6OJO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »

Is it best to mount the HF antenna dead center on the roof or can it be mounted toward the back so the equipment rack can be used as an additional support?  Is there a minimum separation distance needed between the HF and UHF/VHF antennas so they don't negatively affect each other even though they wouldn't be in use at the same time anyway?
KE6VUK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »

Heres a Icom 2200H install I dont know the dimensions to the Ic 7000. It might just fit where this Icom was installed
http://www.jordanmay.com/2011/11/ic-2200h-install/
KG6OJO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »

KE6VUK:

Thanks for the link to the radio installation into the FJ Cruiser.  Is it your install?  If so, have you seen any issues with heat dissipation from the radio heatsink into the confined space under the console?  I wonder if the heat has a good path to get out?  Other than that, it looks like routing the RF cables to come out the back is fairly easy.  It also looks like there is room to get up to the roof from the drivers side as well.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 06:26:33 AM »

Look up "W2WP" on www.QRZ.com and email him. He's a friend of mine. Let him know I suggested you email him for questions.

He'll be able to help you out quite a bit. After trying quite a few radios from the IC-706, YAESU FT897 and FT-857 he stuck with the IC-7000 and loves it to death. He went from running stock to installing an amp. Running ham sticks, buddie poles to a Tatheel screwdriver. So he's run just about experimented with everything and operates strictly mobile. I believe he's driving the same vehicle your inquiring on.

His DX contacts are very impressive and can back it up.

73!

KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »

Not a Toyota, but a Chevy with my IC-7000.

http://kf9za.kremer.com/hf-mobile/

You might see something you can use.  Single band hamsticks on the roof. Been working great for me.  I made sure to ground the radio, tuner, and antenna to the body.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »

You don't need to ground the radio or tuner to the body if the antenna is done properly.

Do not put the main body of the radio in any storage locker unless you want to cook it.
W7ND

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 12:44:14 AM »

Heres a Icom 2200H install I dont know the dimensions to the Ic 7000. It might just fit where this Icom was installed
http://www.jordanmay.com/2011/11/ic-2200h-install/

Thank you so much for that!  I've been looking for a way to mount a 2m mobile without a detachable head in my FJ and could't find anyone who had done it.  Pretty extensive install, may take me awhile to do, but glad to see somebody did it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: