The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing for remote operation -- Alpha 9500 and Green Heron computer control  (Read 17285 times)
WO7R

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »

OK, I'm struggling to get things done here to prep for remote operation.  Hooked up both the Alpha and the Green Heron via USB.

1.  Alpha has some nice-seeming software, but I'm in a pickle.

I unzipped the software to a plausible directory:   C:\Alpha9500 and made some guesses about the COM port.  One of them seems to hang the program.  Worse, it tries to access it on startup and now the darn thing totally hangs.  Tried to delete and reinstall, but no joy.  I even searched the registry and found nothing plausible.  I need to "unset" the COM port and I have no idea how.

Anyone know what to do here?  After things started hanging, I tried to install Vista drivers directly (I expected to be prompted for them, never was).  They seemed to install, but no real change happened.  Running Win 7.

2.  Green Heron's docs say I should be prompted for some sort of driver, but nothing ever happens.

It doesn't appear that ether program uses conventional COM numbered ports anyway.  I get an "FT232R USB Port" when I plug either on, but that's all.  It doesn't seem to matter if I use a hub in between or not.  Same answer.  (I eventually want to use the hub though; ports in the rear, where I want this, are limited).
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »

OK, I resolved these issues.
AB7R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:43:03 AM »

Larry,

If you are trying for real remote operation, take a look at the Lantronics Ethernet to serial hubs.  I have one with two ports and can access whatever is connected to them from anywhere without a PC needing to be running in the remote shack.  You only need to run the Lantronics com port redirector software on the control computer from the operating position.

Greg
AB7R
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:59:22 PM »

Digi portserver software for vertual com ports and related serial server also work great.  I use the TS4, connects to ethernet and gives me 4 serial ports.  Foolproof.
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »

OK, I resolved these issues.

HOW?Huh

I have the same equipment and am in the process of doing the same thing. It would be nice to avoid the same problems....

Thanks

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: