Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB-Serial Adapters  (Read 9886 times)
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »

I've had issues with USB-serial adapters for some time, but only recently came to the conclusion that most if not all of the trouble was with Prolific adapters.

I have quite a few Prolifics that I've acquired over many years, and a couple of OEM devices with built in Prolific chips. Everything was working reasonably well for me until Windoze auto-installed a new service pack for Windoze 7. At that point, all of my Prolific devices stopped working on that computer. I updated the BIOS, the drivers for the chipset, and in particular the USB drivers on the computer, and made certain I had the latest Prolific driver - no joy. I went down to Best Buy and bought a new one - which came with drivers. No joy. Meanwhile, devices built on the FTDI chips worked fine. I ordered two new FTDI adapters, which work great on all my Windoze machines, which are at varying levels of Vista, Win 7, and XP.

I've also had problems in the past with Lenovo/IBM desktops dying as a result of USB hardware problems. I am suspicious that the Prolific devices may have been involved as the failures followed the moving of these devices. Fortunately, these were all inexpensive refurb machines that had outlived their usefulness, anyway, so I wasn't out much. So far, the current Lenovo is alive and well.
W8ASA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »

I've had the same problem as everyone else on here. Yesterday, I got a new W7 computer, and sure enough, the Prolific drivers for my U232-P9 didn't work. In complete frustration, I tried installing this one:

PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.5.0

I have NOT had a single problem since.

I use the latest HRD suite, N1MM logger, and SignaLink USB with my Kenwood TS-570.

Although it's not actually the driver for my device, it works and I won't get rid of it unless I purchase a card that adds actual serial ports with DB9 connectors.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: