Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TM-V7A mic modification?  (Read 3518 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:11:30 AM »

I've been using a Kenwood TM-V7A mobile rig for several years.  Now I'm having a problem with the microphone PTT switch.  I've developed advanced arthritis in both thumbs and I'm finding it very difficult to hold down the mic button.

As I talk my thumbs start to hurt and I unconsciously ease up on the button and before I realize it I'm off the air.

The existing button "return" is a piece of heavy foam rubber.  I am looking for ideas on how to modify this mic button switch assembly with either a snap action switch or at least a way of easing the pressure needed to hold the button in.

I've been building for over 55 years but this one has me scratching my head.  Any ideas out there?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »

It should not be to difficult to install a foot switch parallel to the PTT switch in the microphone.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:02:30 AM »

POL:

Thank you for your suggestion.  However, I've used foot switches in the past and don't like them because I am constantly moving around....using the computer, propping my feet up, etc.

I had some time on my hands this afternoon and decided that I was going to whip this problem once and for all.  I did.  Problem solved.

Thank you for your response.

K2EL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »

So can you please share with everyone how you solved your problem?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »

EL:  I've decided to write it up with photos for QST "Hints & Kinks. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »

EL:  I apologize for what might be considered a smartassed answer.  If you need to modify your mic because of the same problem(s) I described, email me and I'll explain what I did to solve it.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »

I solved this problem with my V71A by holding the mic in my right hand, and using my index and middle finger to press the PTT.

...bill  nr4c
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »

Bill:  Glad you solved that problem to your satisfaction.  With the arthritis in both thumbs so bad any prolonged pressure against either of them is unbearable.  My only answer was to find an easier "push."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: