Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club Stations: How many clubs have operating club stations?  (Read 9033 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »

This has to be the best way to go, but having the shack/site, antennas and gear is beyond many/most.  However, club members may choose to bequeath gear to the club, and perhaps even an old barn/small building.

Some active  well-off ops  allow clubs to use  their property/shack for regular meetings.

Are there other  locations where a ham club could set up a station, and have  7/24 hour access for SES's, contesting, metings etc?

Maybe several clubs could combine meetings IF a club station could be found?  Nothing like a real shack with nice antennas to spur interest.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »

Maybe you could get a private school to "lend" you space, with the caveat that the school could use the equipment for their own radio club/elective.    A member could even teach the elective.  My old school offered this type of program....although the equipment was donated by an instructor.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:07:53 AM »

This is a sticky subject.  Unless the club owns or rents its own space, its hard to set up a 24/7 station.  Some clubs are lucky in that regard and do own their own clubhouse where they can do as they please.  Others clubs have space they're granted, but a lot of times access isn't on a 24/7 basis, and they're limited to the antennas and the station they're able to set up.

In my area there are about a dozen clubs, but only one owns their own property.  A couple of others are set up in hospitals and have IDs that allow certain members 24/7 access.  The rest have to make due with members homes or shacks--or nothing at all.

It isn't easy maintaining a club station either--and its not only the place to put the gear, its the actual organization of the club and the responsible committee and the need to have one or two hams who will actually physically take care of that station.
N2LXM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:00:25 PM »

I am lucky enough too be a member of two clubs which have there own stations. The Garden State A.R.A. is housed at our local Red Cross Chapter House. We provide radio support to the Red Cross here in central NJ. The second club is the Ocean Monmouth A.R.C. which is housed in it's own building. O.M.A.R.C. is a member of the Infoage Learning Center Museum. Both clubs have Multiple operating positions. As a plus, both clubs have large meeting / class rooms and give VE testing, radio Class, talks and lecture's.
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »

OMARC has a very nice station at InfoAge in Wall Township, NJ.  This was one of the things that convinced me to join.   

The other thing was the membership  They are willing to teach a new guy the right way to operate.

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:46:33 PM »

Interesting replies.

Do any clubs use property of a member as a clubhouse/shack?  Folks with  farms, large properties, vacation homes, etc?
Older, retired  hams? 
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »

In my area there are about a dozen clubs, but only one owns their own property.

Could you identify the club that owns their own property?  It might be interesting the compare notes.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »

Could you identify the club that owns their own property?  It might be interesting the compare notes.

SEMARA, in So. Dartmouth, MA  their website--www.semara.org
N2LXM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »

Both clubs I be long to here in NJ have equipment that was purchased with club funds and equipment donated by SK's. Some members that have moved in to small homes have brought there equipment to the club so they can get on the air.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »

I think the club that runs the Dayton Hamvention also owns their own property and has a club station there. We drove past it one year.

The company I work for has a ham radio club & station but it isn't very active (we're all too busy working...). It has a multi band dipole antenna and an IC-718. There is also some vhf gear. Our high school 20 some odd years ago had a club station. The teacher has since retired and with nobody to pass the reigns to, that club is no longer. That station had a tower and yagi. I can't remember what it had for 80/40.. I think a dipole. The rig was an SB303/401. I made my very first QSO on that.
W8ASA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:45:04 AM »

DARA does indeed own its property. The DARA website www.w8bi.org shows the address, and you can see the towers on maps.google.com . It's a really well-put-together station!
W2EM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »

We have a clubhouse and a club station outside of Buffalo, NY. - Lancaster Amateur Radio Club.  We are lucky to have access to an old municipal building, a former Nike military barracks.  The club helps the municipality out with emergency communications and ARES with their Office of Emergency Management.

The building has a few small rooms- a radio room, a repeater room, meeting/testing room, repair room, bathroom, kitchenette, and storeroom.  Over the years the club has built up a collection of equipment and antennas. There were some SK's whose estates donated some equipment which helped upgrades. We have multiple repeaters, APRS, IRPL, Radio Classes, VE testing, and do Field Day, Lighthouse weekend, etc.

We are not a rich club by any means but have many active members and are always doing something.  Every Thursday evening we have a open house and everyone is welcome and different projects are being worked on or discussed.

Check out the club website for pictures and videos:
http://larc.hamgate.net/Club_Mainpage.htm
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 04:33:03 PM »

Thanks W2EM.  Interesting reading that gives hope to other clubs who might wish to pursue their own meeting place/club station.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: