Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV REMOTE: First cw qso...  (Read 394 times)
K7FD

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2005, 10:02:08 PM »

Thanks to VE6ADM George, I made my first remote cw qso from inside Starbucks coffee shop tonight. With my tall Americano next to me, I flipped open my laptop and kicked on XP's remote desktop connection to another laptop sitting outside in my RV.

Using a Netgear 2.4GHz router and the two laptops on the same circuit, my RV's IC-706MKIIG & Hustler whip came to life utilizing Ham Radio Deluxe, CWType, and a microHAM usb rig interface. Sennheiser wireless headphones on 900MHz rounded out the system as I tuned up and down 40m. Finding a clear frequency and after about 3 CQ's, VE6ADM found my signal and answered...

Ahhh, this is the only way to go...stealth ham radio and smell of fresh coffee. And everybody thinks I'm listening to music...

...and in a way, I am! CW rules!

73 John K7FD, co-owner/op of RV REMOTE w/ N7SG
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 11:07:56 AM »

Crazy, man!

Wonder if I can rig up something like that at work... hummm
K7FD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 02:31:36 PM »

...it works great at work...especially if your office window faces the parking lot Wink

...and on psk31 or rtty, you won't even have to wear headphones!

73 John K7FD
K7FD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 11:21:29 PM »

Update: I have replaced the 900MHz wireless headphones by streaming audio directly through the soundcard and router. The 900MHz headphones were a bit spotty and out of range at times. The IC706MKIIG receiver audio fed directly through the router is 100% solid and works well at greater distances...

73 John K7FD
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 06:51:25 PM »

I have been doing something similar for a while using Timbuktu on my Mac iBook to connect to my station PC via an 802.11g wireless hub. On the shack PC I am running N4PY's Ten Tec Pegasus control program which has a builtin CW keyboard.  I originally used this with a Pegasus and now with an Argonaut V. I picked up a cheap 900 MHZ headphone set from Radio Shack on sale about a year ago and this works ok in the house for RX audio.

This setup allows me to operate CW anywhere in the house which is handy  when I am watching my 2 yr old as I often don't get to spend much time in the shack. The only issue for me is I am not a big fan of keyboard CW.

Michael VE3WMB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: