Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro-Tek Tubes  (Read 4799 times)
WG2Y

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »

has anyone had any experiences with Pro-Tek tubes???. They are sold by D&C Electronics. Are they legit or are they Chinese copies with a silk screened logo on them??
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:10:58 AM »

From the website reading: "Our products are designed, engineered, and produced in the United States and other locations around the world.  Final testing and quality control is done at our facility in Brooksville, FL." I would expect they are made in China, if in a better place they'd be sure to say.

Why don't you call and ask?

73 de Ken H>

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »

If it were not for China, a lot of tubes would not longer be available at all.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 05:19:36 PM »

Many new transmitting tubes are made in China!!  The difference lies in the US companies who distribute them under different US names.  Many US companies sell Chinese tubes from the same factories in CHina but each US distributor has their own level of testing of each tube before they go to the users (us hams).  Some companies just get em and sell em and replace any bad ones as YOU FIND THEM.  Other companies run the tubes through various tests and set up thier own standards, they reject any that do not meet their standards in an effort to head off forseeable problems.  IME for example with  3-500's some carry a no name brand, they are cheaper and are generally not tested to any level and sell at a cheaper price.  Some are tested and meet a certain grade and get a name put on them.  Others are tested  to a higher degree and get a different name and sell at a higher price.  Specifically with RF parts 3-500 tubes.  You can buy 3 levels of 3-500's. 1. no name, 2. Taylor, and 3. RF Parts.  If you do a cross section test which I have done over years of experience with them, I have found that the power output vs grid current will fit into each catagory pretty well.  That is not to say that any one tube will last longer over the long haul, but in the short term it appears that the higher priced tubes do give you better performance over all.  So FWIW that seems to be the story.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »

Crossposted from the Alpha 9500 group:

I had roughly the same experience with my 9500. I bought one Pro-Tek 3CX1500A7
(not the P-for-pulse version) and installed it twice -- briefly. The first time,
both fuses popped. I'd thought this might be because the software glitched; it
had failed to zero the load coil after I powered it up. But I couldn't run any
more experiments that night because I was out of fuses.

After ordering some more fuses, I tried it again. This time, I got a fault 04
(hard Ip fault) and decided I didn't want to use a $7000 amplifier as a tube
tester any more.

So now the Alpha OEM tube is back in and I'm going to try to get my money back.
I'll let the group know how well that goes.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: