Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Code Special Charaters for FCC Test  (Read 433 times)
KB3MDT

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2005, 07:07:42 PM »

Hi,
    I'm using HAM University 2.004.05 to study for my Morse Code Test.   The program includes a lesson for "*"  (Asterisk).  I believe the code is "----.-"  By any chance is this just "OK"?   I can't find a reference to the character "*" anywhere else.  It's not on the ARRL Tape.

Is "*" a real character and will it be on the Morse Code Test?   Thanks.

KB3MDT
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 07:22:44 PM »

Opps,
  I listened to HAM University again.  The sound for an "*" is "...-.-", not "----.-" as I originally stated.  This looks like the special code "SK" with a line over it.  Maybe that's why Ham University just shows it as an "*".   In any event, will the VEC's accept "*" or are they looking for "SK" with a line over it?

Thanks.

KB3MDT
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 10:12:50 AM »

They are looking for the prosign "SK". As a VE, as long as I see those 2 letters together, I would accept that without the bar over it. The bar over the letters means that the 2 letters are strung together with no space in between like all the other prosigns.

Good luck!
NØIU
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »

Is there a Morse code sequence for the asterisk?  I've looked in all the references that I can locate and do not find one.
KC0RRS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 08:25:14 AM »

I took the elements 1 & 2 on 2/14/04.  I was not at all prepared for element 2, other than about five days of brush up on what I learned in scouts 30+ years ago.  They asked ten questions about one side of a QSO.  The few I missed were due to carelessness on my part or a lack of understanding of CW protocols (I confused calling station with responding station, and didn't know what "DE" meant).  I've heard 25 consecutive characters of solid copy will also get you a pass.  

Only a few punctuation characters are in common use:  ,.?/-=@

I wouldn't sweat prosigns and whatnot on the test.  However, with the test out of your way, I'd spend some time studying prosigns and protocol (and even practice sending) before actually getting on the air.  

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: