Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mobile wattmeter  (Read 2754 times)
BAREFOOT4X4

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »

Lokingfor info for a para dynamics swr meter. Does anyone have any experience with these units.

Paul: KD2BHK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:32:51 AM »

Why would you want one for a permanent installation, unless you were going to use the SWR readout to adjust a screwdriver antenna? If that's the case, the one in the transceiver is adequate.

BAREFOOT4X4

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »

Im using the swr meter to check my ant. Ive just installed a yeasu ftm10r in my jeep for dual band operation along with an mfj ant and i think im having loss issues.  When i place my coax into the ant jack i see a good recieve signal untill i tighten the connector and then the signal drops.  Any idea?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:40:13 PM by BAREFOOT4X4 » Logged

BAREFOOT4X4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:54:38 AM »

No takers. Fyi i tried a cheapie radio shack ant for cb and no loss. Huh

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »

You might want to make a preliminary test of your coax feedline by using an inexpensive volt/ohm meter, checking it on the continuity setting. Disconnect the coax from the antenna and the radio. Place the leads on the inner and outer shield connectors. If you get a meter reading, you have a short in the feedline and or connectors. Also, use an alligator clip to intentionally short out the inner and outer conductor and test the other end. If you do not get a meter reading, you have an open contact problem in the feedline. This should help you trace down the problem quickly. If the feedline is the problem, a new antenna will not help. Until you become experienced at installing coax connectors, buy the coax with the connectors already installed. Don't burn up your transmitter!  Shocked

I would get a SWR meter to test your antenna for proper operation and tuning after you have made sure the feedline is working properly. MFJ makes some inexpensive models that work well. Smiley  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:38:21 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:39:51 AM »

... i think im having loss issues.  When i place my coax into the ant jack i see a good recieve signal untill i tighten the connector and then the signal drops.  Any idea?

THis may not have anything to do with your problem, but FWIW:  A few years ago I had some sort of odd intermittent signal loss in my mobile 706.   No problem some times, other times I'd have very low signals on receive and high SWR on transmit.   My problem turned out to be a worn antenna connector on the back of the radio.  Replacing that fixed the problem.   
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »

The 10R is a 2 meter, 70 cm transceiver with general coverage receive. As a result, I would believe there would be an increase in the background noise if just the center pin of the coax was connected. After all, the front end bandwidth of the transceiver is very broad to accommodate the general coverage. Hooking up a dual band antenna would narrow up the apparent bandwidth, and reduce the background noise level.

BAREFOOT4X4

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »

No coax issues. i performed a continuity test, checked out fine. i spoke with Bob at MFJ and he claims its a ground plane issue which makes sense.
the ant is mounted on the rear corner of my jeep, no ground plane. I may try to install a square sheet ( 3x3 ) of metal on my hartop roof and then mount the ant centered in relation to the metal. does this sound like a answer to my problems?

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »

How is the antenna mounted? Is it grounded to the frame? Check the antenna base with the meter for ground continuity with the frame prior to any inventive engineering.  Wink
BAREFOOT4X4

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »

ant grounded fine.   Can transmit fine, rec signal is still low.

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 06:19:22 AM »

Why don't you take your set up to the next local ham radio meeting and let some experienced hams take a look at it and make suggestions? They may be able to immediately find the problem for you. It does not sound like a ground plane problem. It sounds like a feedline contact problem or antenna grounding issue. Something is wrong with the equipment that you have set up. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: