Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show me an Active Ham Married with Family and Job and I'll show you.....  (Read 10042 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »

Original post removed by the author after considerations.  However, the thread originator is seeing only one side of the picture.  There are many hams that manage to combine being an active ham with the other aspects of their lives--and are also great parents, spouces and employees.  Too broad a brush was used.  73! 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:29:08 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure WA4D lives under a bridge.  I wonder if he's ever tried stringing a vertical down from the bridge. 

We should not be too hard on WA4D -- it is possible his wife lives under the bridge with him and MADE him create this thread  Wink
He should have married a ham!  Cheesy
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »

I'm pretty sure WA4D lives under a bridge.  I wonder if he's ever tried stringing a vertical down from the bridge. 
  Depending on the size of the span, the bridge might actually load up well on 160! Smiley
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »

wow, I fit his profile, but It has nuttin to do with ham radio.  I am single, but have a nice family any how, my daughter and he son live here.  The wife left a long time ago, in a lull in the radio fun.  I am obese, but that is do to the diabetes from agent orange  and then later injuring my spine at work. ( emergency service on the state owned bridges in northern California,) So even though I meet your criteria, it is for wholly different reasons, and thank goodness for my friends in the hobby, who put up my towers and antennas, built my shack and also make great company, and to you kind sir, I say naner naner poo poo.

Smiley
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »

I say naner naner poo poo.

OK, after coming back to this thread 3 times I gotta ask, what the hell is a "naner naner poo poo?"
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »

I was a lousy husband and father long before I took up amateur radio.  Shocked
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »

I hate to say it but this is a point.  As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ham.  I love the idea of sitting in my house and pushing a signal out of a wire above my roof and somebody somewhere in the world can detect it and send one back.  Truly fantastic.

But I feel that truly my first year as a ham radio operator was 2011.  I have been licensed since 1975 and a 20 wpm Extra since 1976.  But I never really participated in the activity involved in being a ham until 2011.  My kids are now fairly grown, needing less direct assistance from me.  In 2011 for the first time I:

Attended Dayton for a whole day.
Set a goal of one QSO for every day in 2011 (got over 400).
Participate in at least one contest (never had before).

I accomomplished each of the above AND found that I had an AK QSO on an old log that hadn't been recorded so I can now apply for WAS should I choose.  (Yes I participated so little that I never got AK in over 30 years of being licensed.)

Maybe this year I'll join a club.  73, JP, K8AG
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »

I hate to say it but this is a point.  As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ham.  I love the idea of sitting in my house and pushing a signal out of a wire above my roof and somebody somewhere in the world can detect it and send one back.  Truly fantastic.

But I feel that truly my first year as a ham radio operator was 2011.  I have been licensed since 1975 and a 20 wpm Extra since 1976.  But I never really participated in the activity involved in being a ham until 2011.  My kids are now fairly grown, needing less direct assistance from me.  In 2011 for the first time I:

Attended Dayton for a whole day.
Set a goal of one QSO for every day in 2011 (got over 400).
Participate in at least one contest (never had before).

I accomomplished each of the above AND found that I had an AK QSO on an old log that hadn't been recorded so I can now apply for WAS should I choose.  (Yes I participated so little that I never got AK in over 30 years of being licensed.)

Maybe this year I'll join a club.  73, JP, K8AG

JP,

I had a similar story. I had been a fair weather operator and would get on once in a while when the notion struck me. My dad had been a ham many years earlier (late 60's) and let it lapse. I got the bug in 1976 and he got relicensed in 78. I went off to college and we kept in touch by radio but after college I was too busy to deal with radio'n. I got married and really didn't have time then for sure. In 2000 I was divorced and got laid up for a few weeks with minimal movement (foot and ankle surgery recovery). My parents came out to CA for a few weeks to visit and help and I didn't even have a rig, so I bought an old TS-440S and dad installed a G5RV. I got the bug again and never looked back. I now have 3 stations and half a dozen antennas for various bands, amplifiers, etc. I participate in many contests and love chasing DX. I've been a regular visitor to the Int'l DX Convention in Visalia, CA for the last 8 years. Best of all, my new wife fully supports my addiction Smiley but my stepdaughter (17 years mature) just thinks I'm one of those old radio geezers she see's me hang around with.

You better be careful. With an attitude like that, you might accidently have DXCC on the wall before the end of 2012 Smiley Good Luck in your efforts.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »

Naner naner poo poo is best said with by sticking out your tongue, and sticking your thumbs in your ears and wiggling your fingers.  ask a five year old hwo to do naner naner poo poo... Smiley
W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »

ok ok ill get a life. ill just show up on contest weekends

and give everyone 5/9 reports...

Grin

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
WA7RBC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »

WA4D's rant is a good example of a post that eham should remove.  If the author had singled out an ethnic, minority, or religious group for the same treatment, the post would have been pulled immediately.   I say we, as a group, deserve the same respect.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:00:09 PM by WA7RBC » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »

Amateur radio can actually strengthen a marriage!  Every time you buy a new rig or antenna, you just buy her a designer outfit!  It's all just a "balun"cing act!  Smiley
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 11:03:16 AM »

Amateur radio can actually strengthen a marriage!  Every time you buy a new rig or antenna, you just buy her a designer outfit!  It's all just a "balun"cing act!  Smiley

LOL, If I ever get around to putting a tower and beam up it's ok with my wife. I just need to factor in the cost of a roughly $6,500 stove that she wants as part of the deal.
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

I just need to factor in the cost of a roughly $6,500 stove that she wants as part of the deal.

Wow. That thing should prepare the food, deliver it to the table and clean up the mess as well as wash the dishes for that kind of money  Grin
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

WA4D's rant is a good example of a post that eham should remove.  It's so over the top that frankly I can not understand why anyone would publish it.  If the author had singled out an ethnic, minority, or religious group for the same treatment, the post would have been pulled immediately.   I say we, as a group with a common interest, deserve the same respect.

the "everybody" card -- well-played!  Cool
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: