Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pactor modem and PSK31  (Read 2670 times)
KL2EC

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »

I bought the SCS pactor modem thinking I could use it for PSK31 as well as airmail. When I tried to link up on PSK, I get the message that there is no sound card or it's busy. Has anyone been able to link up? What am I missing?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:41:08 AM »

The SCS (PTC-II) modem must be placed in the PSK31 mode. Then it converts between standard ASCII for the terminal program and PSK31 (just as it does for RTTY, Pactor, and other modes). You don't run a PSK31 program on the computer, don't use a sound card and there is no waterfall. You have to tune in PSK31 stations with the radio's VFO.

At least, that's how it worked when I had my PTC-II.
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:01:58 AM »

I run Alpha 3.2 software to drive my PTC-IIex modem, there is a PSK31 button on the software to switch the modem to PSK31.

The advantage is you can use a very narrow roofing filter with PSK31, like a 250 Hz filter if you have one... The disadvantages are that you only have the ability to "see" one conversation stream at once, unlike the commonly used wide "SSB" filter method with a sound card where you can see several conversations and pick one. On the SCS modem tuning in a PSK31 signal isn't as easy as "click and go" on the sound card software programs.

I use FLDigi for "sound card" modes and the SCS modem for Amtor and Pactor. It's easy enough to make a switch box to switch your rig audio between the computer sound card and the SCS modem, so swapping between modes is just a matter of running the appropriate program and selecting the audio.

73 Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: