Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resources to build keys?  (Read 434 times)
AB5ON

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2005, 07:41:32 PM »

I just went to the Ham Fest here in OKC and saw a couple of interesting keys that were home made.  Thought that might make an interesting project since I do some light machine work in my shop.

Does anyone know of any web sites or other resources where there are plans or even good photos of home made keys?  I would like to get some more ideas and then play with a few designs.

tnx and 73
Rick
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 01:24:11 AM »

No idea on resources as I'm a bit too far from the USA, but I do have an idea for you.

Most of the paddles I have seen come with small (normally square) bases. What I would like to find is a paddle with a long arm, say about six inches, this gives a bit of momentum to the swing and gives easier operation. I have a mockup of something like this made from aluminum section and it works reasonably well but the standard of my machining is not too good.

Any takers?

HA5RXZ
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 05:35:10 AM »

Here is a suggestion for a good start http://www.eham.net/articles/8432
AB5ON

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 06:30:57 AM »

FB

HA5RXZ: Send me a photo of your mock-up.  I would like to see a variety of ideas.  Use my call sign @hotmail.com

W4YA:  Thanks for the lead.  I will check it out.

Rick
AB5ON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 06:49:12 AM »

W4YA: That article is outstanding.  It contained a lot of the finer points I had not concidered and showed a variety of design approaches.

Mine will not be that sophisticated since I do not have sensitive fingers nor work at high speeds.  I don't think I am even at the limits of my straight key.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: