Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up and maintaining a repeater  (Read 42150 times)
WB6RLC

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »

I am now the president of my local ham club and we have 2 repeaters in operation. Hopefully 1 or 2 more. I have worked repairing Marine VHF and SSB gear as a profession and I hold an Extra license but I know diddly squat about the real nuts and bolts of setting up and maintaining a repeater.

Is there a web site or a publication that can help me out?

Thanks
Glenn
WB6RLC
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »

repeater-builder.com

Dick  AD4U
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:32:06 PM »

Ditto. Read, read, read. You need service manuals for everything. You need to learn about the infamous duplexer, heliax,antennas, controller, etc.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:54:48 PM »

I agree.

A few days worth of reading when you follow all the links provided:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/

A very good site to bookmark.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:49:08 AM »

I am now the president of my local ham club and we have 2 repeaters in operation. Hopefully 1 or 2 more. I have worked repairing Marine VHF and SSB gear as a profession and I hold an Extra license but I know diddly squat about the real nuts and bolts of setting up and maintaining a repeater....

How large is the club that you head?  Is there a technical committee?  My suggestion is that you let another one of the members head the technical committee and therefore repeater maintenance as well.  You're going to have a lot more on your plate in running the club, so better that you set up the procedures so you can be called in if needed--not for every little thing that goes on with the repeater.  I was the president of my club for a couple of years, and can tell you that if you spread yourself too thin in the beginning, you'll burn yourself out fast.

If, however, you either want to or have to take up the repeater maintenance, the sites referenced will do well as a source of information.  You may also use a search engine on the web and come up with more than you may need on the various parts of maintaining a two meter repeater.
WB6RLC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »

OK, thanks for the input. I'll check out the site.

I don't know if we have the membership to support a tech comittee. Could put something in the newsletter. Don't know 'till you ask.

Glenn
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »

Not to sound negative or discouraging here but it can be a major pain in the back side. I started out with a club years ago and ended up being in charge of EVERYTHING repeater related and rarely could I find any help when I needed it. Eventually everybody else lost interest and I pretty much ended up being stuck with it so I just bought the repeater system out and took ownership. I ran it for several more years and finally got tired of the politics and the maintenance and got out of the business all together. I don't miss clubs or repeaters these days. Talk about a load of bricks off my shoulders. The repeater might sit there for days and not be used and the first time you turn off the transmitter to do some maintenance your phone starts ringing. Did you know the repeater was off the air? Kerchunkers at work.

Now that I am over my rant, In your situation I would definitely take the advice of others and get things set up right from the start. Certain people need to be designated a certain job and expected to make good on the position should they accept it. It can easily all fall in your lap if you are not careful. It's pretty easy to get yourself spread out way to thin in these situations leading to frustration and disgust but it can be done.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:19:18 AM by K4EKG » Logged
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »

Not to sound negative or discouraging here but it can be a major pain in the back side. I started out with a club years ago and ended up being in charge of EVERYTHING repeater related and rarely could I find any help when I needed it. Eventually everybody else lost interest and I pretty much ended up being stuck with it so I just bought the repeater system out and took ownership. I ran it for several more years and finally got tired of the politics and the maintenance and got out of the business all together. I don't miss clubs or repeaters these days. Talk about a load of bricks off my shoulders. The repeater might sit there for days and no-one using it and the first time you turn off the transmitter to do some maintenance your phone starts ringing. Did you know the repeater was off the air? Kerchunkers at work.

Now that I am over my rant, In your situation I would definitely take the advice of others and get things set up right from the start. Certain people need to be designated a certain job and expected to make good on the position should they accept it. It can easily all fall in your lap if you are not careful. It's pretty easy to get yourself spread out way to thin in these situations leading to frustration and disgust but it can be done.

YEP!!!!!!!

Just like a boat owner, A repeater owners two best days are the day it is bought/put on the air, And then the day it is finally sold/junked!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:33:39 PM by K9KJM » Logged
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »

YEP!!!!!!!

Just like a boat owner, A repeater owners two best days are the day it is bought/put on the air, And then the day it is finally sold/junked!

Exactly.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »

Speaking of repeaters...

1. You will be ON CALL like it or not 24/7/4/52/365. It doesn't matter that you are in bed at 3AM. Someone WILL call.

2. If anything at all sounds wrong to the user, the repeater is at fault. Doesn't matter that he is using a 20 year old radio, or a blown speaker, it is STILL the repeater's fault.

3. If someone can't hit the repeater, it is the repeater's fault. Doesn't matter if the are 100 miles away in a metal building and using one of those Alinco credit card HT's, it STILL the repeater's fault.

4. If someone can't get into the repeater because it is toned, it doesn't matter if that is done to keep interference out, it is because you are trying to block them from using the repeater.

5. When it comes time to clean up the tower site, EVERYONE will have something else to do.

6. When the repeater is down for repairs, you should immediately drop everything else you are doing (including any deaths, births, vacations, etc) and GET THE REPEATER FIXED.

7. When an expensive part is needed for repairs, you will always hear "Well, I paid my $20 this year, that ought to be enough." (And that repeater cost $5000...)

8. If something goes wrong and you loose your tower site, you are the one that caused it.

9. If lightning hits the repeater, you are the one that caused it.

10. If wind tears down the antenna, you are the one that caused it.

11. Just remember, if it happened, you are the one that caused it.

12. And when the repeater is down, then you will start getting the phone calls that say "If I bring my radio over there, will you program simplex for me?" (That is because most of the repeater users are within simplex range of each other, and they also never remember where they put their radio manual.)

Ah, the life of a repeater owner / technician...
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »

Speaking of repeaters...

1. You will be ON CALL like it or not 24/7/4/52/365. It doesn't matter that you are in bed at 3AM. Someone WILL call.

2. If anything at all sounds wrong to the user, the repeater is at fault. Doesn't matter that he is using a 20 year old radio, or a blown speaker, it is STILL the repeater's fault.

3. If someone can't hit the repeater, it is the repeater's fault. Doesn't matter if the are 100 miles away in a metal building and using one of those Alinco credit card HT's, it STILL the repeater's fault.

4. If someone can't get into the repeater because it is toned, it doesn't matter if that is done to keep interference out, it is because you are trying to block them from using the repeater.

5. When it comes time to clean up the tower site, EVERYONE will have something else to do.

6. When the repeater is down for repairs, you should immediately drop everything else you are doing (including any deaths, births, vacations, etc) and GET THE REPEATER FIXED.

7. When an expensive part is needed for repairs, you will always hear "Well, I paid my $20 this year, that ought to be enough." (And that repeater cost $5000...)

8. If something goes wrong and you loose your tower site, you are the one that caused it.

9. If lightning hits the repeater, you are the one that caused it.

10. If wind tears down the antenna, you are the one that caused it.

11. Just remember, if it happened, you are the one that caused it.

12. And when the repeater is down, then you will start getting the phone calls that say "If I bring my radio over there, will you program simplex for me?" (That is because most of the repeater users are within simplex range of each other, and they also never remember where they put their radio manual.)

Ah, the life of a repeater owner / technician...

Couldn't have said it any better my self. Every point here is 100% accurate. It is amazing at the things you will hear from people when you are in charge of or own a repeater. Just be prepared and ready for it. Nothing ever happens to anyone else's radio. It's always the repeater. Never mind the fact they forgot to connect the coax their their rig. It's still you'rs and the repeaters fault.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:55:20 AM by K4EKG » Logged
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »

I am now the president of my local ham club and we have 2 repeaters in operation. Hopefully 1 or 2 more. I have worked repairing Marine VHF and SSB gear as a profession and I hold an Extra license but I know diddly squat about the real nuts and bolts of setting up and maintaining a repeater.

Is there a web site or a publication that can help me out?

Thanks
Glenn
WB6RLC

Have someone else be the repeater trustee.  As President you don't need to know the "nuts and bolts", even a Technician class op can be a repeater trustee.  That person does NOT have to be versed in ALL repeater functions, just to act as the trustee.  Next, DELEGATE at least three other people to act as the repeater technical committee.

At the next club meeting make it known that phone calls about the repeater non-functioning after midnight will NOT be tolerated.

Remember, YOU are the President of the organization.  I was the Net Manager for two years and President for one year at a local club.  Spread the wealth around, YOU do not need to do everything that is "with the Club".  Those who scream the loudest are the ones that need to be on a committee, any committee.  Those folks will quiet down when they have to be "in charge" of something.

Other than that, make sure you form a nominating committee early so you can be replaced after a year, and have fun!

Mike
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:19:25 PM »

NA4IT nailed it.

I might add we now have more repeaters in Colorado than hams to use them.

Also when funds are needed to replace something you will find out what lonely means.
K5UPS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »

EVERY THING YOU READ HERE ABOUT RUNNING A REPEATER SITE IS SO TRUE !
IT IS A LONELY , EXPENSIVE FRUSTRATING JOB WITH NO RESPECT FOR THE PERSON DOING IT !

STEPHEN TAYLOR
NM2J
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »

Addendum to my previous post. 

Of the 4 repeaters I own, the 6 meter repeater antenna was hit by lightning last weekend.  Repeater and duplexer are OK, but SWR is infinity.  The antenna is 340 feet up and at age 64 I do not climb that high any longer.  I cannot get on any of my other repeaters without somebody asking when I am getting the 6 meter repeater going again.  A tower climber is not cheap.  Neither are 6 meter repeater antennas.

Dick  AD4U
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: