Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug Cases  (Read 407 times)
KE4MOB

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:00:38 PM »

Just realized after Field Day I need a good way to carry a bug and a key--laying them in the car seat beside me is begging for disaster.  I'd like a case that would hold a Vibroplex Blue Racer (c. 1964) and a Nye Viking straight key.  Any ideas short of making my own?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 08:46:14 AM »

Vibroplex used to sell cases for their bugs. Don't know if the still do.

ALso, take a look at moulded microphone cases. Many come in larger sizes that could hold a bug in cut hard foam.

Good Luck with the project.

Lon
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 05:30:57 PM »

Vibroplex still makes a carrying case for the Blue Racer.
I made my own using a Pelican Case (tm).

BTW my Blue Racer is a Deluxe Model circa 1959. IMHO one of the nicest keys that Vibroplex ever made.

Michael VE3WMB
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 01:24:23 PM »

Oooh...Deluxe '59 Racer...nice bug!!  Mine's a '64 Standard Racer...not quite as pretty, but I don't think you'll find a sweeter handling bug.  I probably ought to get a Deluxe Racer for my collection one of these days...

Anyway, I'm making my own case.  Been rubbing wood stain for three evenings in a row.  I should be able to put an Original-sized bug and a straight key on a base next to each other with room on each side.  

Probably will go with some sort of nylon webbing/strap to keep everything tied down.
NH7L

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 01:02:56 PM »

Gun and sporting goods stores sell inexpensive cases for handguns that will be perfect for your use.

The ones you want are rectangular, with carrying handles, about the size and shape of attache cases or smaller. they're made out of  cheap, thin black plastic. Inside is filled with foam. You cut holes in the foam of the right shape and depth to hold your keys. A small case could hold one or two keys. It will cost $10 to $20.

If you want to spend more money, Pelican cases, made for camera gear, would do. Similar size and shape, but very heavy duty, crush proof and watertight. Probably way more protection than you need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: