Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unbelievable! quadriplegiccommunicate using Morse Code  (Read 4908 times)
PY2NGN

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »

Unbelievable! quadriplegiccommunicate using Morse Code and co manipulates using his head! Incredible .The boy suffered a Link below car accident and became quadriplegic and lost his speech and vision, solution to communicate was the telegraph...LINK YOUTUBE- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQY9bnQAUk
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:15:46 PM by PY2NGN » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »

That's great that he's able to communicate!

I remember reading a story a few years ago about a ham who had a major stroke and lost the ability to talk or write. He still had use of one of his hands and was able to communicate by morse code to his family & friends.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »

One of my wife's long-time "Daytime Drama Series" programs (aka "soaps") has an older male character who'd had a stroke and could only consciously move one finger on his right hand.  She was telling me about it (this was a year or more ago) and I told her "I know what's going to happen...!"

I was right.  He'd been a radioman in the Navy during WW2.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »

"Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo.

Life imitates art.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »

I'm NOT a quadriplegic, BUT I do have a rare form of MS/called MUSCLE ATROPHY with TAY SACHS and love CW.

I'm handicapped-no muscle control operations throughout my body; cannot send with any key and cannot copy.

BUT I'm working CW through my computer with various software packages and the SignaLink modem.

Also experimenting with PSK, RTTY, etc.

Where would I be today without this great hobby !!!!!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »

I think that's great.

I grew up with a local ham in NJ, who I met in person several times and was quadrupalegic; Stan, WB2TTY.  He passed the code tests in front of an FCC examiner back in the 60s from his wheelchair.

That was way before personal computers and such.  He just did it.  I don't recall how, but possibly blowing through a straw to send and getting the code copy in his head without writing it down, or something like that.  And that was more than 45 years ago.

KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:37:47 AM »

WB2WIK---

I think that's fabulous of your friend.

I'm in a wheelchair, also...Have been for the last 10-years, BUT my handicapped developed just a few years ago. 

Became licensed in 1968.

Don't freeze !!!! Smiley
PY2ZJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »

Dear friend PY2NGN Marco, your topic is very interesting. Who knows the boy Thiago and her physical condition will not help others with the same problem, encotrem a way to communicate with mundo.Sucesso for Thiago.
73's of PY2ZJ ​​ROB
PY2NGN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »

TNX FRIEND ROBERT
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:21:42 AM by PY2NGN » Logged
PY2NGN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:09:22 AM »

yes, the yung vy gud in cw
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 07:29:40 AM »

NGN:  This is great; very inspirational.  Good for him. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I've mentioned on other threads here on the CW forum, if operators find themselves unable to use their hands much to send Morse code with a key or paddles, there are many other ways, including the computer.  No need to give up CW.

Now, if we can just get some others to stop using their hands and use their head to bang the key, maybe the bands will clean up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: