Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Distracted Driving": What Dave Sumner did NOT say  (Read 20277 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »

the concept that the cause of accidents are due to human era like everything else. Here's a couple!....
that the cause of most accidents IS human ERROR.  See that?  Speaking of 'accidental' errors--you just made one!    Roll Eyes
[/quote]

Ah! No! You made the error, pal!
[/quote]

He MEANT that you don't appear to know the difference between "era" and "error."  He was nice enough to ascribe it to accident on your part. 
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »

Now that I've woken up I stand corrected. Was not the fact I didn't know the difference but was a simple ,ERROR.

Thanks!   Roll Eyes
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 06:40:01 PM »

CW while driving?  That, I do believe, is crazy (and weird).  I didn't really believe it until I just looked at a youtube video of a guy in traffic, operating CW, during a snowstorm, and videotaping the QSO.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 01:27:34 AM »

CW while driving?  That, I do believe, is crazy (and weird).  I didn't really believe it until I just looked at a youtube video of a guy in traffic, operating CW, during a snowstorm, and videotaping the QSO.

That's just crazy! What weirdo does that?

Oh that's right. Me!

Cheesy LOL!

By the way! NO accidents ever either in my vids.  Wink

73!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 05:09:38 AM »

Besides that 'error', I was also referring to what you said--please reread YOUR post where YOU said:

"Seems like you two characters can't seem to grasp the concept..."

That post followed one by Dennis and one by myself.  Now, you were saying....   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:13:26 AM by K1CJS » Logged
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 05:58:08 AM »

Besides that 'error', I was also referring to what you said--please reread YOUR post where YOU said:

"Seems like you two characters can't seem to grasp the concept..."

That post followed one by Dennis and one by myself.  Now, you were saying....   Roll Eyes

I did mean you two characters!

You regardless because you haven't said nothing constructive nor contributed anything worthy for me to respond to. So far what I've read from you is sarcasm antagonizing nonsense like your normally known for. Unless of course it hits you back in the face then you'll either side with the other party and get your kicks on these forum's by doing what you do now.

Instead of being serious and sticking to one side you'll go with what works for your amusement. For that, you don't get the picture here. So have a mature conversation for once instead of instigating and we'll figure out which side your on.

All I needed to read was this guys thread topic and give my opinion. From then on I read what's thrown at me. I don't read other peoples responses for amusement so if you did have anything constructive to say prior K1CJS then I'll re access my opinion.

Good Day!  Grin
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »

Oh that's right. Me!

Cheesy LOL!

73!

What self-respecting mobile CW operator would post videos of his accidents?   Cheesy
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 05:03:46 AM »

Well, pardon me for expressing an opinion on one post made in fun.  I didn't respond to you and really had no opinion on your view, I just thought the post made by AI8P concerning the thread hit the nail on the head--which I already said.  BTW, you didn't originate the thread, so why play thread police?  Geez..... 
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 10:07:25 AM »

Well, pardon me for expressing an opinion on one post made in fun.  I didn't respond to you and really had no opinion on your view, I just thought the post made by AI8P concerning the thread hit the nail on the head--which I already said.  BTW, you didn't originate the thread, so why play thread police?  Geez..... 

That's funny! Your call is synonymous with these types of threads as either thread police or instigator number one. Everyone knows the call K1CJS on these forum's. It took me a while before I had to state my opinion and opinions are what these forums are for. So your accusation of me being thread police is a far cry from the truth. 

Hey, I'm only stating the facts and giving my opinion, but opinions are like as______. everyones got one! So I'm not getting on ya but if your gonna instigate, make fun and put your two sense where it doesn't belong in a conversation between two people we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Good Day!
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »

He also did not encourage us to drive only white cars, which have been shown by the NTSB as being 80% less likely to be struck by a distracted driver. 

He also did not encourage us to never have a passenger.  Conversations with passengers are also another major distraction.  The NSTB routinely reports on causes of distracted driving.  Loud kids in the back seat.  Windows open, blows papers around, driver reaches to pick them up, whammo. 

Your distractibility rises a lot after one solid hour behind the wheel.  In Europe, cars have dashboard reminders to take a break after an hour for this reason.  In the US, people think nothing of drivnig until they need gas - six to eight hours at a shot.

Is cellphone usage or ham radio usage a distraction?  Perhaps.  But so is having a passenger, so is listening to the AM/FM radio, so is looking at a cute girl/hunky guy on the sidewalk. 

Why single out one specific distraction? Instead, we need to culture people to deal with a life that's full of distractions, while still focusing on what is important.

- k
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 05:34:48 PM »

He also did not encourage us to drive only white cars, which have been shown by the NTSB as being 80% less likely to be struck by a distracted driver.  

He also did not encourage us to never have a passenger.  Conversations with passengers are also another major distraction.  The NSTB routinely reports on causes of distracted driving.  Loud kids in the back seat.  Windows open, blows papers around, driver reaches to pick them up, whammo.  

Your distractibility rises a lot after one solid hour behind the wheel.  In Europe, cars have dashboard reminders to take a break after an hour for this reason.  In the US, people think nothing of drivnig until they need gas - six to eight hours at a shot.

Is cellphone usage or ham radio usage a distraction?  Perhaps.  But so is having a passenger, so is listening to the AM/FM radio, so is looking at a cute girl/hunky guy on the sidewalk.  

Why single out one specific distraction? Instead, we need to culture people to deal with a life that's full of distractions, while still focusing on what is important.

- k

Well said!

That's what we've been trying to convey to WA4D and his constituents in this thread and the one prior but their dead set for some reason on pointing out ham radio use which I think is just redicilous and for such a small community. They just don't get it, but then again that tends to be the American way a lot of times.

What you said is the logical approach but too much of a responsibility and common sense for some to comprehend. If they were too succeed in including ham radio operating via mobile as bad as operating a cell phone including texting they'll find something else to include in the cause of an accident. By that point you might as well not even drive.

The only thing they'll never include is just plain old taking responsibility for their own actions as a human.

Very well said and just plain old common sense and logic.

73!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:33:28 PM by N2RRA » Logged
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »

Oh that's right. Me!

Cheesy LOL!

73!

What self-respecting mobile CW operator would post videos of his accidents?   Cheesy

That would be crazy. LOL!
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »

Well, the I guess the government should outlaw all of the following in order to protect us from outselves:

1) AM/FM radios in vehicles
2) Talking to passengers
3) Navigation devices
4) Two-way radios in police cars and emergency vehicles. They could be automatically disabled any time the vehicle is moving just to make sure the cops follow the rules  Grin
5) Cell phones
6) CD players
7) Ipods
8 Paper maps
9) Food or drink of any type. Auto mfgs must remove drink holders.
10) Make up, hair brushes, etc. kept within reach of the driver.
11) Require Breathalyzer installed on all vehicles to prevent starting the vehicle if you are drunk or have bad breath  Shocked

I believe the report was in error about one thing: The Gov't didn't outlaw texting while driving for federal employees. I believe it outlawed texting while driving a "government vehicle" for federal employees. Military bases also outlaw hand held cell phone use or texting for anyone while driving on the base.

Take a good look at this post....predictable, silly response.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »

What many of you fail to grasp (for whatever reason) is that no one is attacking mobile ham radio use. This is about distracted driving. What difference does it make wether it is a cell phone or a microphone? Some have whined that ham radio should be distinguished from cell phone use. That sort of logic is what a teenager would use on his parents, trying to manipulate them to get what he wants.
My wife and I were recently involved in a serious accident that was caused by a distracted driver. I have learned that we are just part of a growing trend of people getting hurt in car accidents because of someone failing to direct his/her attention to the road. Yes, cell phone use is a major cause, and ham radio use is seldom a cause.
Be that as it may, I agree with the recommendation that portable electronic devices should not be used by someone who is operating a motor vehicle. Just banning cell phone use would be a silly, and reckless move, when in today's society there are so many portable electronic devices that are available, and are being used in the auto.
There are some people who just don't like to be told what to do. They don't like to be told to wear a seat belt, they hate a background check when they purchase a gun, they whine about their "rights" whenever there is common sense legislation passed in the interest of public safety. These personalities have a bloated sense of entitlement, and selfishness.
I hope distracted driving laws banning portable electronic devices are passed in every state. I am an active Amateur Radio operator, and this will in no way take any fun from my hobby. I'm not the only one on the road, and I owe all my attention to the road for the sake of the people I share it with.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:10:19 PM by W0DV » Logged
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »

What many of you fail to grasp (for whatever reason) is that no one is attacking mobile ham radio use.
Wrong.
Some have whined that ham radio should be distinguished from cell phone use. That sort of logic is what a teenager would use on his parents, trying to manipulate them to get what he wants.
You really support your argument when you claim that those that disagree with you are "whining". You have not provided any proof of your assertion that mobile radio use causes distracted driving - at least, any more so than a regular conversation with a passenger does.
There are some people who just don't like to be told what to do. They don't like to be told to wear a seat belt, they hate a background check when they purchase a gun, they whine about their "rights" whenever there is common sense legislation passed in the interest of public safety. These personalities have a bloated sense of entitlement, and selfishness.
So who made you King? How does wearing a seat belt make one a safer driver? Last time I checked the US was still a free (or relatively free) country. Since when is sticking up for one's rights a subject for ridicule?
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: