Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power leads in back of radio  (Read 1905 times)
KD2BDG

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »

I have a radio-shack model radio. In the back of the radio it has the two red and black power leads connected to another piece to plug into a car. I am going to use it as a base station, so I need to take the adapter off and possibly add more wire. How do I do this without damaging the rig.
Thanks for the Help
Joe
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »

Hello KD2BDG, I do not see a problem here. I would cut the adapter off leaving the red (+) and the black (-) wires. If you want to add additional length to the wires make sure you use the same size wire that is now on the radio. None of this should damage the radio. Just make sure the power supply voltage you use is the proper amount (13.8VDC is normal). I would check the radios maximum current draw usually written near the power wires input, and fuse both wires with the proper fuse. If you are using it for a base station you will need a proper power supply to operate it, again make sure that the supply has enough current capacity to operate your radio. A word of caution make sure the plus voltage and the minus voltage go to the right wires, putting a reverse voltage on the radio will damage it.

73s

K2OWK
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 05:18:26 AM »

Are there actual power leads coming out of a molex connector--a white plastic shell mounted on the radio chassis itself with the mating connector having the leads coming out of it--or is that mating connector missing?  If all you have is the molex connector on the rig itself, your best bet is to get the mating connector from one of the many mail order ham distributors.  Those connectors are sold both with the wiring inserted into the connector and with the connector separate--and you put the wiring in according to the wiring of your radio connection.

You should be able to get one delivered for less than $20.  Sometimes you see them advertized in ham radio magazines--or just call a ham distributor--they'll know what you need once you describe it to them.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »

I wasn't clear on this.  Is the "other piece to plug into a car" a cigarette lighter or accessory plug?  If so, you can get a power supply (with the correct rating) that has a matching socket on the front panel.  Some Samlex and MFJ supplies, among others, have this feature.  No cutting required.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: