Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finishing general sat... nervous  (Read 388 times)
KC2NXQ

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2005, 07:21:43 AM »

Hey all... im finishing my general saturday, just gotta do the code, I can copy at 5-7wpm for now, looking to improve. I wanna get on the air this weekend for the FISTS event get your feet wet, but im rather nervous.. I can recieve fine, and i find it helps to write out my response to them and key it while looking at it, but sometimes i stall and leave a big space while im remembering what letter to send... Im not going too fast, just thinking more slowly... will this be looked at as bad and if i were on with someone would they get fed up? Im gonna try regardless... only thing i can do is practice and get better... so if you hear me dont hate me... any suggestions?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 07:56:54 AM »

Here's a suggestion: Get the license, get on the air, and make contacts.  Nobody will care if you stall in the middle of words or sentences to think about what you want to send.

By the time you have completed your 500th contact, which at 10 QSOs per day will only take less than two months, you won't be stalling anymore and you won't have to think about this.

Good luck!

WB2WIK/6
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:22:57 AM »

Being nervous sort of "comes with the turf" for your
first QSO.

By and large, my experience is that CW operators are
a "cut above" in the thoughtfulness and courtesy
department, so just get on the air and enjoy yourself.

It only gets better the longer you keep at it.

Scott
W5ESE
KC2NXQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:55:46 PM »

Im also looking to get a key, straight, not sure what i should get though, trying to keep the price down a bit as i just spent $285 on 2x 40' masts and rope for it. Was gonna go for the cheapo MFJ key, the $10 one but i was recommended not to do that, any other suggestions?
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 02:39:41 PM »

You did the right thing, spending money on the antenna.

There's a heap of key reviews on this site.  And you might try the Morse Express website for some ideas.  Note that "the best key" is a very subjective thing.

One step above the MFJ cheapie is the Ameco K4, which has a metal base, decent adjustability, and runs about $15 from HRO.  A similar key is the Lionel J-38, usually available on eBay.

One (big) step above that is an old Speed-X solid-brass-base key.  Big contacts, very solid arm.  Available on eBay, for prices from $20 to $50.  

Above that, for Kent, Hi-Mound, etc, the sky´s the limit.  

The key doesn´t matter much until you want to send fast.  When that happens, it´ll be time to buy a set of paddles.<g>

HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 02:47:16 AM »

Email me, we can have a practice QSO or two. My best band here is 80m but I've also got a dipole for 20m which might work.

HA5RXZ

pmgant AT freestart DOT hu
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 07:57:05 AM »

I agree with the advice from VA7CPC. The Ameco K4
is the same key I bought in 1975, and is generically
known as the "Japanese Ball Bearing Key". They used
to be sold in Radio Shack stores. I still have and
use mine.

They are available at:

http://www.mtech.whsites.net/ameco/keyosc.htm