Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its Monday and I've Got Navassa on my Mind . .  (Read 3947 times)
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »

Wow! Great read.  I'm in for $500

Hehe. Today, I don't think $500 would even pay for the bottled water Smiley It would be interesting to see how much it would cost per person now for a major expedition to Navassa (2 weeks or more).

John K7KB
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:11:40 PM by K7KB » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

Once active, KP1's pileups will be world-class deep, for sure, but from NA even a small amp and something more than a damp piece of string should have them in the log within a few minutes. Eastern Europe, JA/Asia will have a rough time of it but for us it'll be like fish in a barrel. Think of the legions of JAs that sat working BS7H all day long like nothing. Navassa will our BS7 when it's finally QRV.

Unless there is a GIGANTIC piece of ROCK standing between them and me like there was until HK0NA got Station ALPHA QRV. It was nerve racking sitting listening to others working them like bullets from a machine gun and I could not hear the DX at all. Sad

Here's hoping everything everyone needs is one the air soon. That way I can get them all too Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:45 PM »

That link was a great Read, it really makes me want to go there.
The 73 magazine article was extremely critical and snipey, the guy who wrote it was not a team player but seemed more like a major whiner.

K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »

The 73 magazine article was extremely critical and snipey, the guy who wrote it was not a team player but seemed more like a major whiner.

I never met Wayne Green personally, but during the day of 73 Magazine, I think your assessment of him being a whiner was probably accurate Smiley Although I will give him credit for having the vision to come out with some of the first magazines devoted to Microcomputers in the 70's & early 80's like Byte, Kilobaud, 80-Micro (TRS-80 Users), InCider (Apple), etc. The first REAL hackers (good word in those days) dove into those magazines to learn the latest tricks and tips.

John K7KB
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

K7KB: I remember those magazines too. My fathers friend plopped down an Imsai or Altair computer on our kitchen table and told me to NOT become an EE - but a computer programmer. At the time I had just become a General Class (WA2QHN) and had a Kenwood TS-511S - purchased with money made as a dish washer during high school! My fathers friend said - "stop playing with tubes and wires" . . . . . I didn't listen to him about that  Grin

I listened to him about the computer part, and am 30 years into what has turned out to be a fantastic career. (130th employee at Oracle in 1984), and that has shaped my entire database design and programming career.

Wayne Greene is certainly an "eclectic" bugger - that's for sure. Check out his web site - and he had also been a regular on Art Bell's "Coast to Coast" radio show. (Oy vey!).

But ham radio, QST, Byte and Popular Science magazines bring back great memories.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:21:27 PM by KY6R » Logged
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 03:45:57 AM »

Good to see the traffic building.  Was gone for a while in what was one of the most challenging 10 days of my career - a trial followed by a frantic call from a client to help them out (requiring) me to leave right from the end of the trial to go to London for 5 days.  I'm absolutely spent...

Ya know....Its a curious thing.  If you look at the N4AA most wanted list which was issued only last week, you will see that 8 out of the top 50 are US possessions.  Not one of them is extraordinarily difficult to get to.  They're not marooned in the antarctic or in places where you are likely to be executed for speaking against the wishes of the resident junta.

They're all (save for Swains) controlled by the FWS and/or the military. 

FWS seems to have gotten into a habit of demanding quid pro quo to touch any of these islands.

• You come to our island if you agree to pick up trash for a week
  • You come to our island if you agree to build several sheds for us
  • You come to our island if you agree to take several university personnel and a security detachment with you (at your expense)
  • Etc.

Expect more of these items to hit the top 10 as time progresses.  Ironic given that several of them have runways long enough and in good enough upkeep to land a 767...
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »

I never met Wayne Green personally, but during the day of 73 Magazine, I think your assessment of him being a whiner was probably accurate Smiley Although I will give him credit for having the vision to come out with some of the first magazines devoted to Microcomputers in the 70's & early 80's like Byte, Kilobaud, 80-Micro (TRS-80 Users), InCider (Apple), etc. The first REAL hackers (good word in those days) dove into those magazines to learn the latest tricks and tips.

John K7KB
Loved those magazines, read many an issue. Smiley
I wonder how Wayne ever found time to even eat and Breath given the list I found on his website Roll Eyes
http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/says.html#beenthere
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: