Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ★ ♥ Symbols May Make License Plates Easier to Read, Remember  (Read 1597 times)
KF9ZA

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:26:59 AM »

This may be on the fringe of an appropriate posting to the Mobile Ham forum, but I thought it was interesting.  In the article they refer to "Vanity" license plates.  In my state of Indiana my ham plate is handled like a vanity plate, except we pay a lot less for the ham plate.  Could a symbol come to a ham plate?  Maybe.

Symbols May Make License Plates Easier to Read, Remember

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/01/symbols-may-make-license-plates-easier-to-read-remember/
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:38:12 AM »

Maybe instead of numbers in our call letter plates, we start using symbols. Say in stead of a Ø for the tenth district, we use a 3 laying on its back. After all, a 10 is always endowed!

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:08:33 AM »

Glad to hear that you pay LESS for ham plates there.  Here in Taxachusetts, ham plates cost MORE, and the fee is yearly, not every two years like the regular plate fee is charged.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »

K0BG,
After some thought, I'm not sure I wanna 'go there', you know?  Being a typical male, a "10" usually means some sort of 'rounded' bumps.  I agree about the 'well endowed'...

In Oklahoma license plates are typically of a three digit and three character format.  The numbers aren't always remembered, but those characters in phonetic form can be made 'memorable'.  I do the same sort of thing with call signs, 'memorable' phonetics.  I don't always -use- those phonetics though!  That can be a problem in it's self. Wink
 - 'Doc
KJ1H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »

Glad to hear that you pay LESS for ham plates there.  Here in Taxachusetts, ham plates cost MORE, and the fee is yearly, not every two years like the regular plate fee is charged.

Ah, but in Mass. we at least get a nifty lightning bolt through the middle of our callsigns, a symbol no other type of plate has.  It does cost more than a standard plate (which is why I don't have one at this point), but it costs less than a vanity plate, which is considered a separate category here.

73 - Justin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: