Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Anyone Recently Purchased an Antenna from Tom Shiller N6BT?  (Read 15900 times)
W9JH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »

I attended Tom's talk at the Yuma Hamfest and stopped by his booth as well.  Since then I too have had no luck contacting him via email.

I am very interested in a Q52 but may go a different direction (Mosley Mini 32A).  At least Mosley has a phone number and is responsive.

I would prefer the Q52 but...oh well.  It's a shame...nice antenna but if you need to contact the company forget about it.  The manual even says to contact Tom with questions...good luck with that one.  No address or phone # on the website and no reply to emails.

Anyone had a Q52 delivered recently?

Jack W9JH
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »

Sounds to me like he should spend more time building them and answering the phone and less time talking about them at ham conventions. Smiley
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »

... well I went to the N6BT website on Friday, 2.3.2012 and ordered the "Array of Light" antenna book and received it on Monday, 2.6.2012.

Don't know if his "staff" filled my order or Tom personally, but, talk about quick service.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:26:32 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
W9JH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »

Ordering the book is automated.

Now if his antennas were that easy to order.  Better yet, if he would just respond to emails.  Undecided
K6SBA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »

FWIW, still no responses to any e-mails at either e-mail address.  Perhaps QST should add two categories to its equipment reviews:  1)  Does the company respond to inquiries; and 2) Can it actually produce and deliver its products.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »

Again, I would probably look elsewhere. Not answering email is bad enough, but saying you have email problems in this day and age and blaming that if a red flag. I have never seen people that cannot resolve email problems in anything more than one day, even if they had to switch account.
KG6IRW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »

I picked up a Bravo 5 directly from Tom about 6 weeks ago.  Drove down (I'm about 2 hrs away) and had lunch with the guy after meeting him a couple of years ago at the Monterey Hamfest.

I did arrange via email with him to pick up the antenna, which works quite well given its size and weight, before we met.  Awaiting him to finish the Bravo 40/80 version to add to the antenna farm at the QTH.  The guy knows his stuff and does have other work that comes his way due to his wide range of knowledge in the electronics business, as I found out over lunch. 

There is no excuse for offering to sell antennas then not answering emails but I can tell you that the product is excellent, milled in his own fab shop and is designed specifically for easy parts replacement in very remote areas.  That means he uses commonly available parts like hose clamps, aluminium tubing, etc, that I could get locally if needed.  I like this sort of thing as the Bravo 5, along with the upcoming Elecraft KX3 portable HF rig is going to be a really nice camping type of rig.  Can't wait to try them out together.

Cheers,

David
IK7YTT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »

I ordered , payed and never received the antenna, a mast and i asked a signed copy of the book!!!

After 2 month where he always forget what i have ordered , finally disappear.

I was so stupid to pay all in advance and after wait so long cannot ask money back from paypal.

The mail is an excuse, why can reply tomone email and not from other?
Have email with gigabyte of data now!!!

Thereis no other contact informatons. P.o box is not usefull for legally actions or for come and find him....and no phone ....

I ' m sure that his antenna are perfect....so i want buy.
But this is not the right way to make business.

Get 10.....delivery only if really need

If you can go there to him , pls lhelp me to get my money back or get my antenna( that is what i realy want)

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 02:40:57 PM »

Tom is slow  at shipping, he seems to be very busy.

The book is of terrible quality, its just bound and printed in a copy shop.

The material is very poorly organized and lacks a decent index. It jumps all over the place and  sometimes impossible to find something that you just read if you put the book down.

Its not really worth the money If it was republished by someone like the ARRL it would be a good book. Tom should look at the Antenna Review reports published by Champion radio to see how its done professionally with good writing.

You could summarize this book to  4 good pages, the rest is  just about him and what he has done.

His new antenna designs look very interesting, however if he delivers them with the same slow delivery pace like when he ran Force 12  i would be hesitant about ordering.

Companies who dont answer emails I dont do business with anymore. Its worst when you pay money and then they still dont answer you. Tennadyne, old Force 12 and old ICE are  engraved  in stone on my  not to do business with hit list!

I hope Tom has learned mistakes from his past history!

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »

It's been about 6 weeks since I placed an order and paid for the Bravo 5A and received it several weeks ago.  Everything looks in order and the controller, antenna, radials and relay box looks top notch.  Put it together and did a mini test and made contacts as far as Estonia from Honolulu, Hawaii.  Easy set up, easy take down.  Tom did respond to my emails though in between conventions and medical treatments.  Will make another purchase on the 2 element yagi in a few months.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K2LRC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »

I have a nice 5 band beam form him.  His problem is that he does not check his email often adn you have to bug him many times. Product looks good..
K8JHR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 04:11:51 AM »

I wanted to order one of his antennas.   He answered one email question, and failed or refused to answer any more.   He only answered my first email when I sent him a second email shaming him into a reply.    Reminiscent of Jerry Lewis back in the 1940s,  I asked him "Are you for real?"  and only then did he reply.   

His web page says he will custom make to order... but I was unable to place an order because communications broke down after that first reply.   It becomes impossible to place a custom order when the seller refuses to confirm he can (or will) do what you are asking for.   

I rather doubt the breakdown in communications was MY fault... as a retired lawyer, with an Extra Class License, I am fairly literate and able to communicate clearly.  I have served as a technical design consultant to an EU antenna manufacturer, and won an award from a US company for antenna design.  I was not asking for much, but this guy dropped the ball, and missed an opportunity make a sale.   I built it myself, instead, and, in the process, won a design award from another vendor who sold me the parts I needed.  Maybe I should go into the antenna business... 

Happy trails and good DX to ya.   //  James - K8JHR  //
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: