Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote stations  (Read 1844 times)
YS1MAE

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »

According to Rule 9 of the DXCC Official Rules, in the case of remote operations, the remote station has to be on the same DXCC country as the transmitter, thus if this is not the case, ie. the remote station is in another country, this contact  would not count. If the station is not ID´ng as being remote, somebody who worked the DX would consider this contact valid when it is not. How is this being regulated?

G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:11:05 AM »

Hi.YS1MAE.  Very good question!.  Answer is,it is not being regulated.  The league on this point,as it does on all  instances of cheating, turns a blind eye and ignores it.  Thanks for raising this important topic, you are a real radio amateur.  73  Smiley
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »

I sent the same question once in the past to the ARRL DXCC desk and there was total
silence Smiley
In this day and age, why impose the restriction on the physical presence  in the Dxcc
entity.

krish
w4vku
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:22:19 AM »

I got declined because NP2KW was listed as an illegal remote. However, I did not speak to a remote station. Nonetheless, I just got another US Virgin Islands station.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »

So what defines a legal remote from an illegal remote?
If someone applies for a reciprocal license from the Virgin Islands or some other country can they then log on from California and make contacts that count?
WA4FNG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »

If you're in Germany operating a remote station located in VI, then I think you have to sign with a VI prefix. If I work you I have only worked a VI station. Yes, I did work someone in Germany - remotely operating a transmitter in VI. Where I can see this abused would be for me to setup my own remote station in New Zealand and using it to operate from Atlanta. Would certainly make contacting OC stations a lot easier -- but would be cheating for DXCC from the US.
YS1MAE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

Lets see if I can summarize the comments.

(1) Apparently because of N4NYY´s comment, rule 9 applies since he was declined a contact with VI since this station was illegal
(2) KD8MJR raises the obvious question, what is legal and what is illegal
(3) In my opinion, legal means that the station is operating and transmitting from the same DXCC country, not in the same location (ie Transmitter is in the city and the operator is in a beach house but in the same country.) Illegal would mean that the transmitter was in VI and the operator was in California.
(4) The question now is, how do you know if he is illegal? There are no means to find out this if the operator does not indicate this, so, somebody had to report that he was not in VI
(5) This raises another question, should the operator instruct that he is operating a remote station from a DXCC country but he is not there and warn that that contact is not good for DXCC or any other award?
(6) This is an ethics question, and  lacking that, it is quite probable that many not so rare countries could be operated remotely illegaly and unfortunate hams applying for awards with invalid contacts.
(7) Then if the award manager does not know if that remote operation is illegal he would count it as valid.
(Cool As can be seen, this is a viscious circle that never ends, maybe this is not regulated not because somebody forgot, maybe this cannot be regulated.
(9) Maybe the only feasible solution is to count on operator ethics and also on hams reporting such illegal operations when detected.

Food for thought, we have the technology to setup a remote station anywhere in the world and operate it remotely from a comfortable chair at our house. For very rare countries this would be very difficult because proof of license and actually being there is required to validate the dxpedition, but for a not so rare entity, we could be working and counting as valid when this is not the case.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »

It seems Section 1 Rule 6 of the DXCC program covers this:

"6. All contacts must be made with amateur stations working in the authorized amateur bands or with other stations licensed or authorized to work amateurs. Contacts made through "repeater" devices or any other power relay methods (other than satellites for Satellite DXCC) are not valid for DXCC credit. "
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »

It seems Section 1 Rule 6 of the DXCC program covers this:

"6. All contacts must be made with amateur stations working in the authorized amateur bands or with other stations licensed or authorized to work amateurs. Contacts made through "repeater" devices or any other power relay methods (other than satellites for Satellite DXCC) are not valid for DXCC credit. "

On second thought, I'm wrong.

But a can a person in Spain, for example, operate a amateur transmitter in the Virgin Islands without a US license (via remote control)? He may be able to come here and operate with the reciprocal rules - but can he legally sit in Spain and operate a transmitter in the US? I don't know, I'm asking. Technology moving ahead of the law?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: